[SOLVED] Netgear AC1750 R6400 vs. R6700?

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Which is the better router for my buck? I'm mostly interested in its performance, wi-fi range, and typical router features like usb drive file sharing locally and remotely.

I bought the R6400 router just a few days ago at Bestbuy for $100. I discovered today that the R6700 router is actually available for the same price on Netgear's website. Should I return the R6400 router and buy the R6700 router on Netgear's site instead? It seems like the R6700 has a better processor, 1GHz dual core to be exact compared to the 800MHz dual core on the R6400. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here's a link to the R6700 router sale on Netgear's site:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6700.aspx

Last edited:
Solution
Even if I purchase a NAS, I would still have to connect it to the Netgear router much like I would connect a USB drive to it? The router's CPU would still be heavily taxed even in this case, right?

Would I be able to establish a 2 way sync between my Android phone and the NAS, much like Dropbox or SugarSync? Does it require a special Android or PC app in order to sync the files between the NAS and Phone or PC?
An ethernet connection to the router, does not use the CPU. A commercial NAS will support rsync. You can get rsync app for android -- View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/7oreyo/protip_use_rsync_instead_of_android_file_transfer/

kanewolf

Titan
Which is the better router for my buck? I'm mostly interested in its performance, wi-fi range, and typical router features like usb drive file sharing locally and remotely.

I bought the R6400 router just a few days ago at Bestbuy for $100. I discovered today that the R6700 router is actually available for the same price on Netgear's website. Should I return the R6400 router and buy the R6700 router on Netgear's site instead? It seems like the R6700 has a better processor, 1GHz dual core to be exact compared to the 800MHz dual core on the R6400. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here's a link to the R6700 router sale on Netgear's site:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6700.aspx
The CPU in the router is only HEAVILY used if you use the USB port for storage.
WIFI will generally be the same. All routers use the maximum transmit power allowed.
I don't think you would be able to tell the difference 99.9% of the time.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
The CPU in the router is only HEAVILY used if you use the USB port for storage.
WIFI will generally be the same. All routers use the maximum transmit power allowed.
I don't think you would be able to tell the difference 99.9% of the time.

I plan on using the ReadyShare USB storage sharing feature on the router heavily. So, probably going for the R6700 model would be better as you advised. I'll do just that and return the R6400 router to Bestbuy. Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
I plan on using the ReadyShare USB storage sharing feature on the router heavily. So, probably going for the R6700 model would be better as you advised. I'll do just that and return the R6400 router to Bestbuy. Thanks!
Routers make poor network storage. It is NOT what they were primarily designed for. If you want network storage, buy an inexpensive Synology NAS, IMO.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Routers make poor network storage. It is NOT what they were primarily designed for. If you want network storage, buy an inexpensive Synology NAS, IMO.

Even if I purchase a NAS, I would still have to connect it to the Netgear router much like I would connect a USB drive to it? The router's CPU would still be heavily taxed even in this case, right?

Would I be able to establish a 2 way sync between my Android phone and the NAS, much like Dropbox or SugarSync? Does it require a special Android or PC app in order to sync the files between the NAS and Phone or PC?

kanewolf

Titan

An ethernet connection to the router, does not use the CPU. A commercial NAS will support rsync. You can get rsync app for android -- View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/7oreyo/protip_use_rsync_instead_of_android_file_transfer/

Solution