Question Netgear Bridge Mode Help: Router is requesting me to manually change LAN IP

Mar 24, 2020
Hello everyone, I hope you are having a nice evening today.

I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (Model R7000). I am trying to set it up in bridge mode, but it seems that I have a problem with my IP addresses.

I log into the router, and then go to Advanced>Advanced Setup>Router/AP/Bridge/Repeating Mode>Bridge Mode> Setup Bridge Mode Wireless Settings. Then I select the 5 Ghz band, enter the SSID of my home network, select the WPA2-PSK [AES] button, and then I enter the WPA Key for my network.

Then as the router reboots, I am given this message:
"www.routerlogin.net says
Please change your computer's IP address manually if LAN IP subnet will be changed."

Once the router is finished, I cannot seem to get my computer to talk to it, nor can I connect to the internet through it. The NETGEAR genie Firmware is Version V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.

Does anyone have a clue what I should change/try? I've factory reset and went through this several times now...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone, I hope you are having a nice evening today.

I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (Model R7000). I am trying to set it up in bridge mode, but it seems that I have a problem with my IP addresses.

I log into the router, and then go to Advanced>Advanced Setup>Router/AP/Bridge/Repeating Mode>Bridge Mode> Setup Bridge Mode Wireless Settings. Then I select the 5 Ghz band, enter the SSID of my home network, select the WPA2-PSK [AES] button, and then I enter the WPA Key for my network.

Then as the router reboots, I am given this message:
"www.routerlogin.net says
Please change your computer's IP address manually if LAN IP subnet will be changed."

Once the router is finished, I cannot seem to get my computer to talk to it, nor can I connect to the internet through it. The NETGEAR genie Firmware is Version V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.

Does anyone have a clue what I should change/try? I've factory reset and went through this several times now...
Is this your only router? If so, you don't want to run it in bridge mode.
What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Mar 24, 2020
Is this your only router? If so, you don't want to run it in bridge mode.
What is it you are trying to accomplish?
Thank you for your quick reply!

This is not my only router. My home network is ran off of a Calix 844E GigaCenter (both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands). I also have an unused NETGEAR AC1000 R6080 at my disposal.

I am home from college and want to run my desktop in my room- we do not have ethernet cables ran throughout the house. I do not have a wireless NIC, so my plan was to use this.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your quick reply!

This is not my only router. My home network is ran off of a Calix 844E GigaCenter (both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands). I also have an unused NETGEAR AC1000 R6080 at my disposal.

I am home from college and want to run my desktop in my room- we do not have ethernet cables ran throughout the house. I do not have a wireless NIC, so my plan was to use this.
I assume you have set a LAN address on the router to an IP address in your primary LAN but outside of the DHCP range BEFORE you start messing with the settings? If not start with that. Putting the router into bridge mode will turn off the DHCP server. I would probably unplug/replug the ethernet cable to ensure you get a fresh DHCP. Your DHCP on your primary LAN may be different than the range the R7000 gave you. You may not be able to use the routerlogin.net URL. You may have to use the static IP you assigned at the beginning of this paragraph.

Reactions: Fusion_100
Mar 24, 2020
I assume you have set a LAN address on the router to an IP address in your primary LAN but outside of the DHCP range BEFORE...
Please excuse my ignorance, but under the Advanced>Setup>LAN Setup there is a section entitled "LAN TCP/IP Setup" and it has the IP Add., IP Subnet Mask, RIP Direction (set to both), and RIP Version (set to disabled). Is this what you are referring to? And if so, how is it that I should ensure that it is within the operational limits of my computer?

Edit: with the command prompt, I can see that my IP subnet mask is the same and my IPv4 is only up one number in the last digit.