Netgear FVS318 and ProSafe Client setup

Hello. I'm new to this group, and I'd welcome any directions.

I have an FVS318 from Netgear, and the Prosafe VPN client software. I'm
interested in proving the client's ability to be used on a laptop (remote),
and get it to phone home to the FVS318 (main headquarters). However,
Netgear offers NO technical support without a price.

what's really unique is that the settings on the client don't necessarily
reflect the settings on the router. That's the part that really surprised
me... it's like it's designed to confuse.

I also willfully admit that I don't know where to look, since I saw no
Netgear-oriented newsgroups. Any direction that would help a VPN lamer
(including references to other groups) would be welcome.

Thank you!
Eric/Rokit

I'm e-mailing Eric a working config for our FVS318 client/router
relationship (without any sensitive information enclosed, obviously) and
posting this to the group so that anyone who needs this help will see this
if they search the group and can contact me directly.

If people don't Google the group for a solution first, then screw 'em. :)

I've been through this pain. Others need not suffer needlessly. I can't say
this will solve all setups painlessly, but it's what works for me.

- Matt

"Matt Shepherd" <matthewshepherd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<YIVad.104546$BH4.1382251@weber.videotron.net>...
> I'm e-mailing Eric a working config for our FVS318 client/router
> relationship (without any sensitive information enclosed, obviously) ...
> - Matt

Could you email me the same setup? I am also having a problem with the
Prosafe VPN client to an FVL328. I can establish a connection, but
cannot "see" any of the computers on the domain that is behind the
FVL328.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Sean

Chuck Bridgeland wrote:
> On 26 Oct 2004 07:55:24 -0700, Sean Rumelhart <srumelhart@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Matt Shepherd" <matthewshepherd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<YIVad.104546$BH4.1382251@weber.videotron.net>...
>>
>>>I'm e-mailing Eric a working config for our FVS318 client/router
>>>relationship (without any sensitive information enclosed, obviously) ...
>>>- Matt
>>
>>Could you email me the same setup? I am also having a problem with the
>>Prosafe VPN client to an FVL328. I can establish a connection, but
>>cannot "see" any of the computers on the domain that is behind the
>>FVL328.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any assistance,
>>
>>Sean
>

> Months later: Me too, me too, por favor.
>
> The Netgear docs seem to assume that if you can ping across the tunnel,
> everything's OK. I can ping, but only by ip, not name.
>
> I set up a WINS server on the far end. No help. The best I can do is to
> make an lmhosts file explicitly setting the address of the two servers that
> need to be accessed, after which I can ping my name, map drives by name,
> etc. The computers that will have the client software are laptops that are
> in and out of the office, so I don't think there will be a problem with
> doing it this way, but I'd like to get it to work right. I still can't
> properly log into the domain either.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Indeed name resolution has nothing to do with VPN. If your name
resolution is not working then let us know what DNS and WINS servers the
client obtains when connecting through VPN. (use the ipconfig /all
command in windows 2000/XP)

If it does not obtain a server address then you simply must have the
DHCP server that gave the client it's address also give them the correct
DNS/WINS servers address also. This should fix your domain log-in.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Any way i can also get the setup? This has been driving me nuts :)

Thanks