Netgear GS308 causing internet issues

Sep 12, 2018
I have a Spectrum Internet modem that has a single ethernet out on it. When I connect any device to this port, I get an internet connection without any issues. When I connect a Netgear GS308 switch to the modem, all devices except my WiFi mesh system lose the internet connection. I have a Samsung Connect Home wifi mesh system and when I connect it to the switch, it works and all of my wireless clients can connect to the internet. When I try to plug any other device into the switch, it fails to connect to the internet. The network IPv4 settings on the Samsung Connect Home show that it is getting a 47.XXX.YYY.163 IP address as the internet connection. It seems like the Netgear switch is causing some sort of IP address issue but the Connect Home system is correcting it and allowing the internet to work? Is this even possible? I have tried multiple different types of connections and every device works except when it is run through the switch, the Connect Home device being the outlier. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The switch is working just fine.

The problem is that you have a modem and Spectrum will only give you one public IP address.

You will need to connect the modem to a router which will then allow you to connect more than one device to the internet.

Routers usually have four ports. So if you have more than four devices that will use a wired connection, hook the Netgear switch to the router for additional ports.

Sep 12, 2018

Thank you for your help. Now that I am less frustrated with it no working and thinking more clearly, that makes perfect sense. Do you know of any routers that don't include wireless? I was looking at a Ubiquiti edge router. Would this work? Thanks for your help.

Sep 12, 2018
Alright. I bought a Ubiquity Networks Edge Router X. I configured the router correctly in the wizards section of the online GUI. The IP address of my Samsung Connect Home is 192.168.2.1. I set the Edge Router to 192.168.2.2. For some reason, when I connect my internet modem and switch to the router, I cannot get any internet access, even from my Connect Home. Is there some sort of configuration I have to do on the Samsung Device? The Edge Router originally came with 192.168.1.1 as the IP address but because my Samsung Connect Home IP had a different third octet, I thought that the router network needed to match. Any insight here?