Netgear N600 WNDR3400 Low Performance

Alec Lockhart

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Hello everyone!

I am having some trouble with my router and its less than optimal performance. I have a Netgear N600 WNDR3400 router that has a theoretical maximum speed of 300 Mbps over a 2.4Ghz network. I am not getting this performance... For wireless adapter, I have a Linksys AE3000 adapter with a theoretical max of 450 Mbps (just for reference; there is no bottleneck as far as transfer goes). Based on this information, I should be getting a fair download rate considering the fact that I get around 80-90 Mbps download on the local machine (wired to router). Oh, and before I get too much further, I wish I could use a wired connection!

The location of my gaming rig is in the worst possible place for wired connection! It is the furthest from any wired internet line there is! Plus, I have tried power line networking, but I only get a 10 Mbps connection (less than wireless)

As far as what I get currently for wireless, it is around 16 Mbps download. I should theoretically be getting a lot more than that.

I have messed around already way too much with the router settings like the MTU size under WAN settings. I have messed with that enough to find a zone where the router is doing a little better. I have also disabled the 5Ghz band with the mindset that it would increase performance... should have known better... (it didn't; it was quite the same).

I would love it if anyone had any ideas. Anything is good, I am willing to try anything at this point! I am assuming that I need a new router to fully support my internet speed, I will probably do that anyways, but... for now I want to get the most out of this one.

I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers so technical terms do not bother me, use as many as you find reasonable!

Thank you!

Solution
Ah, yes, I should have clarified what tool I was using to test those rates. I was using speedtest.net to test my download speeds. On the local machine I get around 90 Mbps download and on my machine I get around 16 Mbps download. I think I just need a new router, one that can support my internet's speed.

I am sure that it is Mbps, 90 MBps is crazy! I get around 10 MBps local so if you get 90 please tell me what provider you have!
1) First, are you sure that's not 90MBps (Mega Bytes per second) for the wired transfer speed?

I get up to that to my WDMYCLOUD that is attached through my Gigabit switch to my PC.

2) 16Mbps->

I'm not clear on what you mean by "download" though. From what to what?

If it's through your ISP (internet) then that's a set bottleneck based on your plan. I get 6Mbps for example.

3) I can say those "300Mbps" numbers are never anywhere near what you get in the real world.

Alec Lockhart

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Ah, yes, I should have clarified what tool I was using to test those rates. I was using speedtest.net to test my download speeds. On the local machine I get around 90 Mbps download and on my machine I get around 16 Mbps download. I think I just need a new router, one that can support my internet's speed.

I am sure that it is Mbps, 90 MBps is crazy! I get around 10 MBps local so if you get 90 please tell me what provider you have!

Solution