Question Netgear Nighthawk C7800 - Insane lag during a video phone call my brother was making.

NiveusT

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Netgear Nighthawk C7800

My computer is on the second floor. The modem/router is on the first floor almost literally right beneath my room. I'm unsure of the material the floor/walls are made of.

I'm curious if it's possible that my brother being on a video call is interfering with the wi-fi signal to my room? Or was it just a coincidence at that moment I got insane lag on literally all things (Discord and CSGO)
I had 30 ping in CSGO.
My wi-fi in the task manager performance window wasn't really having any spikes... But I was having INSANE rubber banding, and my friends were cutting out when they were talking on Discord.
They could hear me perfectly, however.

Our plan is this:
  • Up to 1 Gbps download
  • Up to 35 MBPS upload
  • Unlimited data plan

I have Cox internet in Las Vegas.

Last edited:
Netgear Nighthawk C7800

My computer is on the second floor. The modem/router is on the first floor almost literally right beneath my room. I'm unsure of the material the floor/walls are made of.

I'm curious if it's possible that my brother being on a video call is interfering with the wi-fi signal to my room? Or was it just a coincidence at that moment I got insane lag on literally all things (Discord and CSGO)
I had 30 ping in CSGO.
My wi-fi in the task manager performance window wasn't really having any spikes... But I was having INSANE rubber banding, and my friends were cutting out when they were talking on Discord.
They could hear me perfectly, however.

I have Cox internet in Las Vegas.
It would depend on how much bandwidth each of you is trying to use; if the total is higher than the bandwidth coming into your house, that might be the problem.

NiveusT

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
It would depend on how much bandwidth each of you is trying to use; if the total is higher than the bandwidth coming into your house, that might be the problem.

If my plan is this:
  • Up to 1 Gbps download
  • Up to 35 MBPS upload
  • Unlimited data plan
I'm guessing that the bandwidth isn't much of an issue, right? Or could it still be? - And if so, is there a way I could adjust it?

Last edited:
Highly unlikely you are overloading a 1gbit connection. It can happen things like steam when it is in a good mood can max even connections larger than 1gbit.
Video conference uses low bitrate in most cases. Most of them are in the 1-2mbit range but even it took 10mbit upload you would still have 25mbps left.

This is very hard to say with no data. You would have to find some way to get the data rates for all your machines or your router would have to have some ability to tell you how much bandwidth is being used. You can see it in the network tab of the resource monitor but you would have to manually combine the data from different machines.

I would try extremely hard to find a way to run a test with a ethernet cable either by moving you computer or running a temporary cable over the floor. You need to determine if you should chase wifi issues or some other bandwidth related issue. Wifi tends to have too many random issues to get good test data.

If my plan is this:
  • Up to 1 Gbps download
  • Up to 35 MBPS upload
  • Unlimited data plan
I'm guessing that the bandwidth isn't much of an issue, right? Or could it still be? - And if so, is there a way I could adjust it?
Just because you have a high bandwidth coming in your house doesn't mean its making it to your room; vertical wifi transmission is much lower than horizontal and your upload could be even lower. If you have enough upload bandwidth then the next possibility would be too much traffic in your neighborhood on the same wifi channel. There's a free wifi analyzer in the Microsoft Store that you can use to see how many neighbors are on the same channel as you and what their dBm signal strength is in relation to yours. It will also show you your upload and download speeds based on your wifi location and adapter. In my neighborhood I see 18 people on channel 157. OTOH hand I am on channel 36 and the only other neighbor on the channel has a signal 36dBm less stronger than mine.