Netgear nighthawk fried?

Feb 19, 2018
Hey guys so while I was at work my fiance decided to hit the light switch that is connected to the outlet that my tv, router, etc are plugged into. Not the best way to shut everything off. Anyways, my nighthawk r7000 wifi will not work or the Ethernet to my PC. All the lights light up. I tried resetting it multiple times and connecting to the default WiFi network but it's not working. Do you guys think it's dead? Is there anything else to try? The router is at least 4 years old.

Right now we are living in a 2 bedroom apartment that is about 800 sq. Ft.
I have a gaming PC, multiple 4k streaming devices, game systems, laptops etc. I went out last night and bought a 3 unit Google WiFi which I think is pretty nice but I don't think we need it's coverage capabilities. I also used to have an Ethernet cable going to my gaming PC in our room but i now have one of the units in the room and then an Ethernet cable from it to my PC and I am getting the same speeds as before.

The Google WiFi is a little pricey that I wasn't expecting. So I guess my question is what do you guys recommend? My fiance wanted us to just get the same router but I had a hard time buying a 4 year old router. I could find a used one for like 100 but would rather buy something newer if you guys think it'll be beneficial. It's also hard to determine which mesh wifi system is best.

My internet speed is 250 down/30 up.

Thank you!

Solution
It will greatly depend on the devices you intend to use on the router. Many newer routers support feature few if any end devices suppose. Things like 4 antenna feeds or things like mu-mimo. They are also adding stuff that is not part of the official standards so it makes it even harder to find end devices that support it.

Compare the feature on your end devices and then decide if you are actually going to be able to use the features.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
It's weird that shutting off the outlet and turning it back on would cause a power surge but whatever.

For your apartment size, there shouldn't be a need for mesh networking. Just get a new router, the R7000 is not old or slow. Just because the model was first released 4 years ago, it's speeds are more than enough for what you need. You could also buy a newer Nighthawk if you don't want "old" stuff.

Feb 19, 2018
I can't go to that because even when plug in with Ethernet I get no internet. Yes I thought it was weird too. It was also.plugged into a surge protector. Maybe that's not the issue? Not sure.. and I guess I just thought a newer router would be better but if not I might buy a used one. Or is there something in the same price or a little more that might be better? It looks like it's about 180 new. Yeah I didn't think I needed mesh wifi. It's kind of nice but probably too expensive for this application.

It will greatly depend on the devices you intend to use on the router. Many newer routers support feature few if any end devices suppose. Things like 4 antenna feeds or things like mu-mimo. They are also adding stuff that is not part of the official standards so it makes it even harder to find end devices that support it.

Compare the feature on your end devices and then decide if you are actually going to be able to use the features.

Solution

It's fried.

I personally support Linksys. There are crappy routers, there are long lasting routers, then there are Linksys routers.

TRENDING THREADS