Question Netgear Nighthawk R8000 wire connection issue

mtracy1991

Reputable
Motherboard: TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI

Hi all,

I am currently running complete fiber optic in my househouse.
ISP indicated issues are fine on their end with the connectivity.
ONT Connected to my R8000 and I have a flat cat6 cable running to my PC.
Note: Only my PC is hardwired; everything else is Wi-Fi.
ISP indicated the router is receiving the 1000 Gbps.
Confirmed in router settings WAN is illustrating 1 Gbps.
LAN is showing 100 Mbps
I accessed device manager and Speed & Duplex is set to Auto Negotiation.
I changed to 2.5 Gbps and 1.0 Gbps...
2.5 doesn't connect and 1.0 provides the same 100 mbps when reviewing the speed in the router.
I've reinstalled drivers, tried previous firmware on the router and nothing changes.
What's weird is earlier today I was getting 1 Gbps up/down with just the wife and I home.
In the past I've had issues with my PC coming out of sleep mode and having no internet, I had to restart to get my NIC rolling again (this is with my old PC that was setup and not this current one I'm using).
Additional mates came home this evening and I just decided to test now and its 100 mbps.
I've tried two different cables earlier today and had full Gbps at one time, then right after swapping between the cables it defaulted back to 100 mbps. I could not access my router thru 192.168.1.1 and had to reset the router.

I'm looking to get a different router to test tomorrow as I'm uncertain to what is going on.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Motherboard: TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI

Hi all,

I am currently running complete fiber optic in my househouse.
ISP indicated issues are fine on their end with the connectivity.
ONT Connected to my R8000 and I have a flat cat6 cable running to my PC.
Note: Only my PC is hardwired; everything else is Wi-Fi.
ISP indicated the router is receiving the 1000 Gbps.
Confirmed in router settings WAN is illustrating 1 Gbps.
LAN is showing 100 Mbps
I accessed device manager and Speed & Duplex is set to Auto Negotiation.
I changed to 2.5 Gbps and 1.0 Gbps...
2.5 doesn't connect and 1.0 provides the same 100 mbps when reviewing the speed in the router.
I've reinstalled drivers, tried previous firmware on the router and nothing changes.
What's weird is earlier today I was getting 1 Gbps up/down with just the wife and I home.
In the past I've had issues with my PC coming out of sleep mode and having no internet, I had to restart to get my NIC rolling again (this is with my old PC that was setup and not this current one I'm using).
Additional mates came home this evening and I just decided to test now and its 100 mbps.
I've tried two different cables earlier today and had full Gbps at one time, then right after swapping between the cables it defaulted back to 100 mbps. I could not access my router thru 192.168.1.1 and had to reset the router.

I'm looking to get a different router to test tomorrow as I'm uncertain to what is going on.

Any ideas?
Get rid of the flat cable. Get round Cat5e, 100% copper 22 to 24AWG.

I have a flat cat6 cable running to my PC.

I'm always suspect of Flat ethernet cable. To get high speeds, everything should be twisted and separated properly. To get CAT6 speeds in flat cable, I think the pairs would probably need individual shielding from other pairs. Most manufacturers of cable aren't going to go through this trouble and they'll use cheaper thinner wire as well to cut costs.

Most ethernet cable you buy on Amazon are notoriously over advertised beyond their real rating. Flat cable is the worst culprit. Buy quality made ethernet cable from companies you can trust.