News Netgear Nighthawk RS700 Router Brings Wi-Fi 7 and a Hefty Price Tag

steve4king

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Finally! A cutting edge router that doesn't look like a tarantula or fighter jet!

There's not always a great place to hide a router in a central location, and this item would fit just fine in a lot of places.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Any wifi 7 AP's yet? The inclusion of BitDefender is a big plus here as they abandoned their BitDefender Box 2 project. But I would still prefer my pfSense box and treating the bitdefender as a subnet
Many manufactures wait until the standard is guaranteed not to change before they manufacture anything. Last I heard wifi7 is still looking at first part of 2024 to be finalized.
Most will have designed ready to go but will not push the button on making them until that date. It then has the delay between when it built and it can be on store shelves. I bet it will be summer of 2024 before it is somewhat easy to get wifi7 devices.

I am not so sure the value of firewalls in home environments. All traffic is generally encrypted both with the wifi and then again using HTTPS to the internet. Your more general user will not have set any port forwarding so no one can attack them from the internet even without a firewall.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Many manufactures wait until the standard is guaranteed not to change before they manufacture anything. Last I heard wifi7 is still looking at first part of 2024 to be finalized.
Most will have designed ready to go but will not push the button on making them until that date. It then has the delay between when it built and it can be on store shelves. I bet it will be summer of 2024 before it is somewhat easy to get wifi7 devices.

I am not so sure the value of firewalls in home environments. All traffic is generally encrypted both with the wifi and then again using HTTPS to the internet. Your more general user will not have set any port forwarding so no one can attack them from the internet even without a firewall.

You are correct. There is definitely no assurance that this thing will be WF7 compatible on final spec. And THG's assumption that this will be there "flagship" is rediculous. It might be on launch, but a year later they'll have a new better one, and then the next year, then the next year, etc. They just want you to click on it so they get their commision.

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
Any wifi 7 AP's yet? The inclusion of BitDefender is a big plus here as they abandoned their BitDefender Box 2 project. But I would still prefer my pfSense box and treating the bitdefender as a subnet
I am still using my BitDefender Box2 at home as my router, after wasting $249.00 on a Lynksis paperweight and finally giving up with their tech (or lack there of) support staff about 3 years ago.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
$700 for a router? A home, consumer-grade, WiFi router? Like, not even a commercial one with a dedicated support package?

Lol! Did Nvidia purchase Netgear?

On a more serious note, I do appreciate the design (yay, no gamer edgy stuff and antennas for the antennas) and 10G WAN port. Surprised that not all LAN ports are 10G, but they probably expect this router to be connected to a 10G switch with many more ports on it. Greater performance is welcome given how much streaming is commonplace now on portable devices.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
With a router like that, much of the pricing will be the early adopter tax, though with WiFi, typically once the hardware guidelines and standards are confirmed, even if the software side iof things are not fully complete, the major brands will begin making routers and implementing a draft standard. The times when there are issues, is if the any hardware impacting parameter change. With corrupt FCC changed in 2015, parameters impacting transmission, were effectively required to be stored in a one time programmable memory, where further adjustments would not be possible. The problem is that if later changes to regulations happen, the only changes that can be done in firmware are increasing restrictions, but no change can be made to loosen restrictions if regulations change to become more permissible. This overall makes it risky to jump into a new wireless standard too early, especially if there is still contention within the FCC.

Aside from that, Netgear is one of the best consumer router makers, mainly due to their long aftermarket support cycles. Many of their routers from over 10 years ago are still receiving firmware updates, though part of their price premium is likely due to the long support cycles.

On the other hand many others are hit or miss, for example, the Linksys WRT1900ACS only got 1 year of firmware updates before being EOL.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

DMZ-zone 1 where I tinker improving my web skills as a programmer. If I screw up a configuration, or have a bad plugin, I do not want anyone compromising my network. It also allows VPNs into your home network.
IOT-zone 2 (Very insecure. These devices can also monitor and sell your traffic and information about you) I'm talking your robot kitty liter cleaner, alexa, roomba, Roku. And if you use Eufy or Ring cameras I will slap you silly.
Business-zone 3 - Ensuring my wife has enough bandwidth for 200+ people zoom conferences.
Personal devices-zone 4 (phones, xboxes, playstations, and computers)

pfSense and logging/Snort allows me to see what every device is connecting to and when. Hey what's that traffic spike to China at 3 AM? Oh it's my Fossile Google Wear watch.-Black listed.

I suggest you download Fing from google's app play. It can determine what devices are attached to your network and what protocols they support. That old network printer still supporting SAMBA v1? At work we had one of those trying to attack my computer. Also DNS request are unencrypted, and ANY devices on the same wifi can read that DNS request. (If you use smart switches properly, or VLANs it's harder to penetrate. But WiFis are open territory) Headers are also not encrypted. Only the payload.

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Also DNS request are unencrypted, and ANY devices on the same wifi can read that DNS request. (If you use smart switches properly, or VLANs it's harder to penetrate. But WiFis are open territory) Headers are also not encrypted. Only the payload
Encrypted DNS (DoH, DoT) is becoming more common. E.g android OS and desktop Firefox may have it auto enabled, or at least easy to enable.

And unless the AP is unsecured, all traffic between clients as the AP is encrypted. So other clients cannot see any of your traffic, DNS or otherwise.

Encrypted DNS (DoH, DoT) is becoming more common. E.g android OS and desktop Firefox may have it auto enabled, or at least easy to enable.

And unless the AP is unsecured, all traffic between clients as the AP is encrypted. So other clients cannot see any of your traffic, DNS or otherwise.

There's still a ton of apps that doesn't use Secure DNS. And any device on the same SSID can read your traffic. I wire snoop and see the data myself of all my devices.

There's still a ton of apps that doesn't use Secure DNS. And any device on the same SSID can read your traffic. I wire snoop and see the data myself of all my devices.
You can set the dns encryption in windows itself with a patch from maybe 6 months ago. I think android also has patched in support.

Reading wifi traffic is a massive effort it take far more than just the SSID and shared password. These are only used in the very initial session setup. You would need to intercept these messages to see the unique session keys that are generated for each different wifi connection. If you do not get these key setup messages you can not read the traffic even if you know the shared key.
Now of course if you have the correct equipment you can capture that data once it is converted to ethernet but again everything should still be encrypted with HTTPS and DNS encryption.

Reactions: TJ Hooker