[SOLVED] Netgear Nighthawk XR500

Pwigz

Honorable
May 24, 2015
so my brother just bought the Netgear Nighthawk XR500 and talked up a big game to my parents without fully understanding how routers and internet works. We have an extender downstairs but both our router and extender are company owned by Verizon fios and i called and we have a guy coming over to set everything up but now i have to find an extender that is compatible with the Netgear Nighthawk XR500. Will this extender do? https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WiFi-Range-Extender-EX8000/dp/B074F3M2W8/ref=bdl_pop_ttl_B074F3M2W8

Solution
Very technically no extender/repeater should work. All rely on a using a function that never was actually added to the wifi standards. But it might as well have been since it is rare to not find it. They all pretty much work together and buying from the same company improves you chances.

"gaming" router is one of those things that make me laugh. Maybe they should put the word "turbo" on the box too.

Then again "mesh" is almost as funny. Mostly marketing for a technology you should not use unless you have no other options.

Be very careful that the verizon extender is using wifi to get its signal from the main router. Many verizon fios boxes support MoCA. If the extender is connected to a coax cable then it is using...
Very technically no extender/repeater should work. All rely on a using a function that never was actually added to the wifi standards. But it might as well have been since it is rare to not find it. They all pretty much work together and buying from the same company improves you chances.

"gaming" router is one of those things that make me laugh. Maybe they should put the word "turbo" on the box too.

Then again "mesh" is almost as funny. Mostly marketing for a technology you should not use unless you have no other options.

Be very careful that the verizon extender is using wifi to get its signal from the main router. Many verizon fios boxes support MoCA. If the extender is connected to a coax cable then it is using moca rather than wifi. This will function as a AP and perform MUCH better than any form of repeater.

Your best option if it is at all a possibility it to hook the "extender" to the main router via a ethernet cable. Maybe you have in wall ethernet cables. This is running the extender as a AP and it will perform much better than any repeater.

Solution