[SOLVED] Netgear R6300 Slow Uploads on Wired Connection Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonTD

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
Hi everybody,

I have my Netgear R6300 router on a wired connection to my desktop computer, and I have numerous other devices (phone, tablet, 2 laptops, etc) connected to the router wirelessly. All my wireless devices are showing good upload speeds (around 10MBps), but my desktop system is showing around 2MBps when it's wired through the router. When I wire the desktop system directly into the modem and bypass the router I get good (10MBps) speeds on it, but it drops again when I wire through the router. All my devices and systems, both wired and wireless, are showing good download speeds (around 80-90 MBps, sometimes slower depending on the time of day). I also have verified the integrity of the Ethernet cables between my computer and the router and between the router and the modem.

This leads me to believe that there is some issue with the wired router connection throttling the upload speed. I've updated the router firmware to the newest version and am puzzled about what could be causing this. Could someone help me out? I'm not super familiar with the router firmware settings, so it's possible there's something I'm missing there or elsewhere.

My motherboard is an AS Rock LGA1155 Z77 Extreme4, and the processor is an Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4GHz.

Edit to add: My OS is Windows 7, up to date with all patches, etc.

Edit again: I connected a netbook to the router via wired connection, and I was able to get faster upload speeds there. So now the problem appears to be something about my specific desktop computer and how it handles wired connections. I have been looking in the settings for Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet in my Network and Sharing Center but am not sure what most of it means or whether I should change anything. If you could advise me about that, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Jason

JasonTD

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
Solved! After searching and experimenting all night, I finally located the problem. There's a setting in my NIC properties for "cFosSpeed for faster internet connections." I'm pretty sure it was added as part of my mobo drivers. By default it's set to be enabled, and I think it's supposed to do something to make speeds faster. Ironically, it turns out it was throttling both my downloads and uploads. After disabling the cFosSpeed option, I now am getting 102+ MBps for downloads and 11+ MBps for uploads.

Status
Not open for further replies.