[SOLVED] Netgear R7000 router wifi suddenly slowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Xfinity 1G service, i get 800-900Mbs. Netgear CM1000 v2 Modem, edit: Netgear R7000 router.

Until a week ago, all wireless devices were getting 200-400mbs. The day after my hardware warranty ended, the bandwidth dropped. Nice scam netgear. Regardless, it went from 200Mbs to 1-40Mbs wifi. Nothing changed during this time, no storms, nothing.

My gaming PC that is wired to the router gets 800-900Mbs consistently.

I've tried 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and smart connect

Firmware - V1.0.11.110_10.2.100, the site says this is the latest firmware when i try to update.

The devices that are slow are Iphone 11, Ipad gen 7, Ipad air gen 3, Roku stick, fire stick. All slow and buffering

I've reset the router to factory settings, rebooted, etc. I've gone through the settings and all looks normal as far as i can tell.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This modem:

CM1000 Modem

Connectivity being (line diagram):

ISP ----> coax cable ---->[Coax connecter] CM1000 [Yellow LAN Port] ----- Ethernet cable --->[WAN] Router [ LAN ports] ---- Ethernet cables ----> Wired devices like gaming PC and ~~~~ wireless ~~~~ > Wireless devices such as iPhone, iPad, Roku, etc..

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Make and model router?

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Router is in the title. Netgear R7000.

That line diagram is correct.

All is good to the router and the router outputs proper bandwidth to WIRED devices. Wireless from the router is down to 1-20 Mbs. Usually closer to 1Mbs.

Ralston18

Titan
What wireless frequency and channel?

Are you in a location with lots of other wireless networks/devices in the surrounding area?

On your iPad or iPhone can you see some listing of surrounding wireless networks?

I have two immediate thoughts with respect to the sudden appearance of the problem: 1) a problem with the R7000's wireless function, and 2) someone else has a nearby wireless network interfering with your wireless network.

Wondering about the IP addresses being used by the wireless devices. Any static wireless IP addresses?

The R7000's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some additional information. Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I've tried 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and smart connect

2-3 other locked wifi broadcasts in my area. This is an estate lot area. Not many homes near by. Also, i have been tracking all attached devices, i haven't noticed any unauthorized devices.

Xfinity only provides dynamic IP for my service.

I'll get the logs when i get home.

This is my router and i admin it.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
The question is what is the channel configuration in the router? What channel is 2.4Ghz on ? A channel number or "Auto"? Same for 5Ghz. A channel number or "Auto"? What is the bandwidth that 2.4Ghz is set to 20/40Mhz? Auto? What is the bandwidth that 5Ghz is set to? 40Mhz? etc.

2.4Ghz AUTO, up to 600Mps

5Ghz 153, up to 1200Mbs

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
A new firmware was recently release, so I updated the firmware. That solved some issue but not all. Changing the 5Ghz to channel 48 (closest to 50 available) got the signal much stronger. The signal went from under 10Mbs to over 140Mbs while testing 4 wireless devices at the same time. Not bad. I will wait and test again tomorrow to make sure it was a perm fix. If it is still over 140 per device tomorrow, i will select the above post as a solution.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.