Netgear router problems

eddie

I have been having major problems using a Netgear WGT634U cable
router.

When I 1st got it I called their tech support because it refused to
pick up an IP address from the cable modem. A firmware upgrade to
1.3.0.6 fixed that.

When I used a WG511T 108Mb wireless card with it the connection would
hold for a short time & then drop, only allowing pings thru rarely &
intermittently. I upgraded the WGT634U firmware to 1.4.0.6.

This had no poitive effect on the wireless connection & also killed
network connection locally & to the web for anything connected by wire
too.

Accessing the config page started being slow with some frames of the
http page timing out - now I get nothing from the router at all by way
of connection to the config page.

All the lights are on & pinging the 192.168.1.1 address produces time
outs rather than destination unreachable if I were to pull the cable.
I have tried both resets available to me as detailed on their website.

Netgear's tech support promised a call back from a technician over a
week ago - I have chased this up to be told somebody will call me but
still nobody has.

I have phoned Netgear UK & left a very polite voicemail for the tech
support manager Neil Smart asking for somebody to phone me about this
problem. Nothing so far.

Has anybody else experienced problems with this equipment? Anybody got
108Mb wireless working reliably with any make?

Thanks
Eddie

Ive got the exact same router and pcmcia card as you and use it
through a dialup internet connection with no problems whatsoever.

Damo642

Don't bother with 1.4.0.6, it'll break your router instead of
fixing it. 1.4.0.6 is beta anyway. I would stay with 1.3.0.6 for
now.
As for the 108Mbps wireless connection, I have no problem with it so
far.
In your case, try and see if you can identify wireless
devices which could be the source of your interference. Are you
getting reliable connection near the router or does it matter? If you
not
getting reliable connection no matter what, then either there's major
interference problem or the unit is defective. FYI, I got this thing
in hope of using the USB device sharing capability. So far, I've been
disapointed with this feature and gave up on tech support helping me.