Netgear Router works with DLink Access Point

I have a Netgear WGR614 v2 wireless cable / dsl router and I wanted to get
some sort of repeater or extender. My cable connection is at one side of my
house, and my wife's office is at the other side, and her wireless
connection worked for a while but recently she started to get a lot of
"network disconnected" errors. (A new school started up next door and I
suspect it is adding its own new batch of interference).

Netgear used to make a wall-plugged extender (WGXB102) but that item has
apparently been discontinued. I purchased their WG302 Access Point but that
DID NOT WORK for me. It claims to have a "bridging and repeater" mode, but
it also expects to be directly connected to a computer via an Ethernet
cable, and I wanted something I could plug in at the middle of my house and
not be attached to any computer or cable. I never did get the repeater mode
to work correctly anyway.

I then purchased a LinkSys Wireless-G Range Expander (WRE54G) but that could
not connect to my Netgear router, with or without encryption, and I
eventually talked to some tech-support girl in India who told me that the
LinkSys expander only worked with LinkSys equipment - so much for wireless
"standards".

I then purchased a DLink AirPlusXtremeG Wireless Access Point (DWL-2100)
because it advertised on the box that it had 5 "modes", one of which was
"Repeater". I configured the DLink via my computer, then re-plugged it into
the center of my house, and voila - it worked the first time out! All I
needed for the DLink configuration was the MAC address of my NetGear router,
which I got from its status page. Also, the DLink had the most precise and
easy-to follow instructions of the 3 access devices that I mentioned here.
More kudos to DLink.

Hopefully this message will save someone the hours of work it took me to
figure this all out, not to mention the trips to CompUSA - thank God for
their 14-day return policy!

Steve Guidos

Thanks for posting this - sounds like you're describing my
situation/problems pretty well. Will try out the DLink; hopefully it'll
do the trick for me too.

Steve Guidos wrote:
> I have a Netgear WGR614 v2 wireless cable / dsl router and I wanted
to get
> some sort of repeater or extender. My cable connection is at one
side of my
> house, and my wife's office is at the other side, and her wireless
> connection worked for a while but recently she started to get a lot
of
> "network disconnected" errors. (A new school started up next door
and I
> suspect it is adding its own new batch of interference).
>
> Netgear used to make a wall-plugged extender (WGXB102) but that item
has
> apparently been discontinued. I purchased their WG302 Access Point
but that
> DID NOT WORK for me. It claims to have a "bridging and repeater"
mode, but
> it also expects to be directly connected to a computer via an
Ethernet
> cable, and I wanted something I could plug in at the middle of my
house and
> not be attached to any computer or cable. I never did get the
repeater mode
> to work correctly anyway.
>
> I then purchased a LinkSys Wireless-G Range Expander (WRE54G) but
that could
> not connect to my Netgear router, with or without encryption, and I
> eventually talked to some tech-support girl in India who told me that
the
> LinkSys expander only worked with LinkSys equipment - so much for
wireless
> "standards".
>
> I then purchased a DLink AirPlusXtremeG Wireless Access Point
(DWL-2100)
> because it advertised on the box that it had 5 "modes", one of which
was
> "Repeater". I configured the DLink via my computer, then re-plugged
it into
> the center of my house, and voila - it worked the first time out!
All I
> needed for the DLink configuration was the MAC address of my NetGear
router,
> which I got from its status page. Also, the DLink had the most
precise and
> easy-to follow instructions of the 3 access devices that I mentioned
here.
> More kudos to DLink.
>
> Hopefully this message will save someone the hours of work it took me
> figure this all out, not to mention the trips to CompUSA - thank God
for
> their 14-day return policy!
>
> Steve Guidos

I recommend that you purchase a router similar to the DWL-2100AP from
D-Link. You can use your Netgear WGR614 wireless router as the remote
wireless host and set the D-Link to be your Client AP. Your range will
be expanded and both APs will communicate with each other. Take care
and have a Merry Christmas.

--
doug Jamal

doninfosys

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Here it is, years later, and the Linksys help desk stil does not know the Expander does not work with the Cisco Router!. Wasted 5 hrs of my time trying to get it to connect and failed!