Netgear VPN

I am trying to setup a VPN from my home to work across a netgear WGR
614 router and cable modem.
I am using Check Point VPN-1 Securemote NG with Application
Intelligence (R55) Build Number: 082 on my laptop running Windows XP
and at work we have Check Point Firewall-1 NG with Application
Intelligence (R55) running.

When I connect my laptop directly to the cable modem then the VPN
works perfectly and I can route to my work servers. However, if I
connect via the Netgear router I can connect successfully but cannot
access an resources. When doing a trace route I can see that I get to
the gateway at work but no further.

Does anybody know how I can set this up? Do I need to set any
port-forwarding and if so which ports?

I have tried emailing Netgear support but they have yet to come back
to me and their website support about VPN's is pretty useless.

Thanks for your help

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 27 Apr 2004 07:06:31 -0700, otte@freeuk.com (Otte) wrote:

>When I connect my laptop directly to the cable modem then the VPN

What VPN? You are aware that there is more than one kind of VPN - and
that in general none of us can read your mind.

>works perfectly and I can route to my work servers. However, if I
>connect via the Netgear router I can connect successfully but cannot
>access an resources. When doing a trace route I can see that I get to
>the gateway at work but no further.

Anything past the router is non-routable. That's the reason NAT acts
like a firewall. If you could get into your LAN through the router
from the outside, then so could someone else.

>Does anybody know how I can set this up? Do I need to set any
>port-forwarding and if so which ports?

You should be talking to Netgear about how to set up their router for
the particular (unspecifiec) VPN you are trying to set up. If its the
Microsoft PPTP VPN, then you have to forward port 1723 and pass
protocol 47 (GRE).

>I have tried emailing Netgear support but they have yet to come back
>to me and their website support about VPN's is pretty useless.

Call them. People who have Netgear routers swear by them. John Navas
is one of those, so you should ask him:

http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

Otherwise try one of the specialty forums for Netgear. Here's a
popular one:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Look for the word "Forums" on the left navbar.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett