netgear wg511 cant renew ip adress

i recently added a netgear wg511 card to make my laptop wireless i use a
dell true moible 2300 as my router. everything worked fine for like a
month. but now i can't use it for wireless at all but when i connect
the comp to a LAN connection it works perefectly. when its just hooked
up to the netgear card and i try to connect to the internet it says it
cant renew the ip address and to contact the network administrator. any
help at all would be greatly apprciated.

--
cu_cullen9

You may have already done the following, but if not:
1. If using XP, disable the wireless zero config. util. that came with
the OS
2. Go into your Netgear menu and make sure that the appropriate info
matches the settings in your router's menu, i.e, SSID, WEP, Channel.
3. Make sure that DHCP is enabled in your router's menu
4. Reboot the computer AND the router.
I hope this helps.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:06:54 GMT, cu_cullen9
<cu_cullen9.19g5yb@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

>i recently added a netgear wg511 card to make my laptop wireless i use a
>dell true moible 2300 as my router. everything worked fine for like a
>month. but now i can't use it for wireless at all but when i connect
>the comp to a LAN connection it works perefectly. when its just hooked
>up to the netgear card and i try to connect to the internet it says it
>cant renew the ip address and to contact the network administrator. any
>help at all would be greatly apprciated.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:06:54 GMT, cu_cullen9
<cu_cullen9.19g5yb@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

>i recently added a netgear wg511 card to make my laptop wireless i use a
>dell true moible 2300 as my router. everything worked fine for like a
>month. but now i can't use it for wireless at all but when i connect
>the comp to a LAN connection it works perefectly. when its just hooked
>up to the netgear card and i try to connect to the internet it says it
>cant renew the ip address and to contact the network administrator. any
>help at all would be greatly apprciated.

Router: you haven't said what it is. Is it reporting any problems
with the WLAN? Have you checked it? Have you rebooted it? Is DCHP
working properly?

PCMCIA card: are you using the latest drivers? Does it report an
error (probably not but worth asking) and if so what? When the
Netgear GUI scans what networks can it see, what signal strength, what
encryption? Does the OS report any faults with the hardware?

General: is encryption or MAC address filtering operational on the
network? If it is encrypted, what type of encryption and have you
checked that the key is correct and encryption types are matched on
both router and client? If MAC filtering is used have you checked
that the MAC address of the WG511 is entered correctly in the router's
interface? Do the scans show nearby networks on similar channels?

Have a look at the above, check them out and get back to us if still
nothing.

Also check out the following - does the network icon appear as normal
or with a little X? If it appears as normal double click on it and
click on the support tab. Check the IP address.

NB, with my set up if the router is broken the IP address is 0.0.0.0
however if the router is fine but the MAC address or encryption key
was rejected it assigns an IP of 169.x.x.x (can't remember the exact
one) and a subnet of 255.255.0.0 and you can't do anything. This
might give a clue as to what is happening.