[SOLVED] Netgear WGR614V9 not working intermittently

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Hi there,

I have an Netgear WGR614V9 router installed with my broadband modem. Lately, the router is malfunctioning at times. I am uploading a picture of the lights in the front panel at this location. This condition shows up even when the broadband is working OK with my desktop.

Pls. advise what could have gone wrong and the remedial steps.

Thanks in advance.

Arvind Gupta

Solution
Have you read the user's manual -- http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WGR614V9/WGR614v9_SM_26Oct07.pdf

Page 7 describes the status of the lights -- The orange "Test" light (second from left) says that the router is initializing. That, to me, says the router is rebooting. So it is probably either overheating or the power adapter is bad. That is a really poor router. It is "G" standard only. And since you seem to be using only WIFI (no wired lights on) I would recommend replacing it. If you are short on $$$ get a used Asus router on E-Bay. The RT-N56U for $20 would be a huge upgrade.

kanewolf

Titan
Have you read the user's manual -- http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WGR614V9/WGR614v9_SM_26Oct07.pdf

Page 7 describes the status of the lights -- The orange "Test" light (second from left) says that the router is initializing. That, to me, says the router is rebooting. So it is probably either overheating or the power adapter is bad. That is a really poor router. It is "G" standard only. And since you seem to be using only WIFI (no wired lights on) I would recommend replacing it. If you are short on $$$ get a used Asus router on E-Bay. The RT-N56U for $20 would be a huge upgrade.

Solution

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016

Thanks for replying. I simply changed the supply plug point of my router adapter and the lights came up as normal (picture here). But still my phone cannot detect my network (it can detect the neighbouring wifi networks and my wifi network SSID is coming up in its stored list). So how do I know if my wifi router is actually working OK. Presently, I only have one wifi device to scan my network (my phone).

Regards,
Arvind Gupta

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for replying. I simply changed the supply plug point of my router adapter and the lights came up as normal (picture here). But still my phone cannot detect my network (it can detect the neighbouring wifi networks and my wifi network SSID is coming up in its stored list). So how do I know if my wifi router is actually working OK. Presently, I only have one wifi device to scan my network (my phone).

Regards,
Arvind Gupta
It is possible that your router picked a channel that your phone won't allow. MANUALLY set the channel to 1, 6, 11. BUT, my recommendation stands, you need to replace that old router.

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
It is possible that your router picked a channel that your phone won't allow. MANUALLY set the channel to 1, 6, 11. BUT, my recommendation stands, you need to replace that old router.

Hi there,

Thanks for your advice. I did the following steps to revive my router. First, I updated the firmware to the latest version. Then set the channel manually to ‘11’. Presently my Netgear router is only giving me wifi connectivity for 12-15 mins every time I am switching it on. After 12-15 mins. the wifi indicator is turning off (the second light in my last pic uploaded). So either something is heating up inside (which I cannot say as the body is cool) or it’s a different issue all-together. Could you advise me what to do next?

I was searching the internet for a new, inexpensive router. Do you happen to know any ‘N’ series dual band routers pls.? There are a lot of ‘AC’ series routers with dual band (but the price is on the higher side for me).

Looking forward to your responses.

Regards,
Arvind Gupta

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there,

Thanks for your advice. I did the following steps to revive my router. First, I updated the firmware to the latest version. Then set the channel manually to ‘11’. Presently my Netgear router is only giving me wifi connectivity for 12-15 mins every time I am switching it on. After 12-15 mins. the wifi indicator is turning off (the second light in my last pic uploaded). So either something is heating up inside (which I cannot say as the body is cool) or it’s a different issue all-together. Could you advise me what to do next?

I was searching the internet for a new, inexpensive router. Do you happen to know any ‘N’ series dual band routers pls.? There are a lot of ‘AC’ series routers with dual band (but the price is on the higher side for me).

Looking forward to your responses.

Regards,
Arvind Gupta
If you want an N router, get a used RT-N56U or RT-N65U off E-Bay. I keep one around as an emergency backup for my primary router.