Netgear WiFi extender issues

May 10, 2018
I have an issue with Netgear WiFi range extenders. I was previously using an old Virgin media router, with Netgear adapters upstairs, which was connected via LAN to my pc. We recently upgraded to a newer router, unfortunately this means my wired connection is no longer working.

When I enter the Netgear setup page, the old SSID is visible, however I have no way of changing this to the new network name.

I don't really know much about networking to be honest, so I have almost definitely described my problem poorly, however I will be grateful for any pointers.

Thanks in advance, Sean.

Solution
What make and model is the new router? What model is the Netgear Wifi range extender?

Do you have the applicable User Guides/Manuals?

You may need to do a factory reset on the Netgear Wifi range extender and reconfigure it to work/communicate with the new router.

Note: And do consider switching, if at all possible, to powerline adapters versus the range extender. May be a measureable improvement in network performance over wifi.

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model is the new router? What model is the Netgear Wifi range extender?

Do you have the applicable User Guides/Manuals?

You may need to do a factory reset on the Netgear Wifi range extender and reconfigure it to work/communicate with the new router.

Note: And do consider switching, if at all possible, to powerline adapters versus the range extender. May be a measureable improvement in network performance over wifi.

Solution
Does your phone have a strong wifi signal to the first wifi device at the point your extender is at?

It's trash in trash out for those things. It doesn't matter if your signal appears strong with the extender if it's getting a bad signal.

Halfway between your room and the first wifi is probably a better spot.

TRENDING THREADS