Netgear834g

Fozzy

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004

I can't access the configuration settings on my Netgear router I try to
access 192.168.0.1 but I get "Page cannot be found" When I first tried I
think it tried to find a website with "trusted in the address. I wonder if
I have been affected by a trojan or suchlike.

Anyway, I cleared all cookies & temp internet files. ensured I was not using
a proxy server and that Win XP firwall was not turned on. The cable is fine
and the lights all appear to flash at the right time. I just can't access
it! Any clues? I plug in my Solwise router (to the same wires and cables)
and can access the net without a problem.

Thanks.

Is it possible that the router is not configured for IP address 192.168.0.1?
Perhaps it got changed somehow. Can you ping that address? Is another
device in your network using the same IP address?

Jeff

"Fozzy" <sifoster@@dsl.DEL.pipex.com> wrote in message
>I can't access the configuration settings on my Netgear router I try to
> access 192.168.0.1 but I get "Page cannot be found" When I first tried I
> think it tried to find a website with "trusted in the address. I wonder
> if
> I have been affected by a trojan or suchlike.
>
> Anyway, I cleared all cookies & temp internet files. ensured I was not
> using
> a proxy server and that Win XP firwall was not turned on. The cable is
> fine
> and the lights all appear to flash at the right time. I just can't access
> it! Any clues? I plug in my Solwise router (to the same wires and
> cables)
> and can access the net without a problem.
>
> Thanks.

Fozzy

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004

ok. I can ping that address whether the router is connected or not! (My
Solwise router works ok, I'm just swapping cables to give internet access).
Does this mean something else is using that address? how do I find out and
how do I go about changing it (do I need to?)

"Jeff Durham" <jdurham.outdoor.life@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible that the router is not configured for IP address
192.168.0.1?
> Perhaps it got changed somehow. Can you ping that address? Is another
> device in your network using the same IP address?
>
> Jeff
>

> "Fozzy" <sifoster@@dsl.DEL.pipex.com> wrote in message
> >I can't access the configuration settings on my Netgear router I try to
> > access 192.168.0.1 but I get "Page cannot be found" When I first tried
> > think it tried to find a website with "trusted in the address. I wonder
> > if
> > I have been affected by a trojan or suchlike.
> >
> > Anyway, I cleared all cookies & temp internet files. ensured I was not
> > using
> > a proxy server and that Win XP firwall was not turned on. The cable is
> > fine
> > and the lights all appear to flash at the right time. I just can't
access
> > it! Any clues? I plug in my Solwise router (to the same wires and
> > cables)
> > and can access the net without a problem.
> >
> > Thanks.

If you can ping it with or without it being connected, you have another
device using that IP address. You will need to systematically remove
devices (computers, etc.) until you figure it out.

> ok. I can ping that address whether the router is connected or not! (My
> Solwise router works ok, I'm just swapping cables to give internet
> access).
> Does this mean something else is using that address? how do I find out
> and
> how do I go about changing it (do I need to?)
>

> "Jeff Durham" <jdurham.outdoor.life@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible that the router is not configured for IP address
> 192.168.0.1?
>> Perhaps it got changed somehow. Can you ping that address? Is another
>> device in your network using the same IP address?
>>
>> Jeff
>>

>> "Fozzy" <sifoster@@dsl.DEL.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> >I can't access the configuration settings on my Netgear router I try to
>> > access 192.168.0.1 but I get "Page cannot be found" When I first tried
>> > think it tried to find a website with "trusted in the address. I
>> > wonder
>> > if
>> > I have been affected by a trojan or suchlike.
>> >
>> > Anyway, I cleared all cookies & temp internet files. ensured I was not
>> > using
>> > a proxy server and that Win XP firwall was not turned on. The cable is
>> > fine
>> > and the lights all appear to flash at the right time. I just can't
> access
>> > it! Any clues? I plug in my Solwise router (to the same wires and
>> > cables)
>> > and can access the net without a problem.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Fozzy

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004

Surely there must be another way? how could I find what address was being
used by my current router- the solwise?
> If you can ping it with or without it being connected, you have another
> device using that IP address. You will need to systematically remove
> devices (computers, etc.) until you figure it out.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Fozzy" <sifoster@@dsl.DEL.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > ok. I can ping that address whether the router is connected or not! (My
> > Solwise router works ok, I'm just swapping cables to give internet
> > access).
> > Does this mean something else is using that address? how do I find out
> > and
> > how do I go about changing it (do I need to?)
> >

> > "Jeff Durham" <jdurham.outdoor.life@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> Is it possible that the router is not configured for IP address
> > 192.168.0.1?
> >> Perhaps it got changed somehow. Can you ping that address? Is another
> >> device in your network using the same IP address?
> >>
> >> Jeff
> >>

> >> "Fozzy" <sifoster@@dsl.DEL.pipex.com> wrote in message

> > access

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:08:42 +0100, in alt.internet.wireless , "Fozzy"
<sifoster@@dsl.DEL.pipex.com> wrote:

>Surely there must be another way? how could I find what address was being
>used by my current router- the solwise?

Get an IP range scanner such as AngryIP, this will attempt to identify all
machines in a given IP range, and will also tell you if any strangers are
around.

--
Mark McIntyre