Nethack round-robin

Anybody fancy a round-robin game?

We each take it in turns to play 1000 turns, and email the save-game to the
next person.

And eventually we ascend! (maybe)

If I do the first 1000, who fancies doing 1001-2000?

I might be interested, but not till Augest. Also I'd make it 500 turns,
not 1000.

Dave Hammond wrote:
> Anybody fancy a round-robin game?
>
> We each take it in turns to play 1000 turns, and email the save-game
to the
> next person.
>
> And eventually we ascend! (maybe)
>
> If I do the first 1000, who fancies doing 1001-2000?

Manuel

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Dave Hammond wrote:
> Anybody fancy a round-robin game?
>
> We each take it in turns to play 1000 turns, and email the save-game
to the
> next person.

Sounds fun!

> And eventually we ascend! (maybe)

....if you want to ascend, don't count on me!

"Dave Hammond" <davidjhammond@hotmail.com> was moved to say:

>Anybody fancy a round-robin game?
>
>We each take it in turns to play 1000 turns, and email the save-game to the
>next person.

Just my luck, my 1000 turns will consist of price-IDing a 6x5 shop
(containing three mimics the first of which kills my pet) whilst
wearing a cursed dunce cap.

--

JPD

SGFN

mark

"Dave Hammond" <davidjhammond@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<42597545$0$94506$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>...
> Anybody fancy a round-robin game?
>
> We each take it in turns to play 1000 turns, and email the save-game to the
> next person.
>
> And eventually we ascend! (maybe)
>
> If I do the first 1000, who fancies doing 1001-2000?

I'd definatly be up for that, sounds like a great idea! The only gripe
I have with nethack is that it is very much only a 1 player game, but
this would almost make it a multi-player co-op game.

Either way, count me in!

Mark

"JPD" <john_p_darcy@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> "Dave Hammond" <davidjhammond@hotmail.com> was moved to say:
>
>>Anybody fancy a round-robin game?
>>
>>We each take it in turns to play 1000 turns, and email the save-game to
>>the
>>next person.
>
> Just my luck, my 1000 turns will consist of price-IDing a 6x5 shop
> (containing three mimics the first of which kills my pet) whilst
> wearing a cursed dunce cap.
>
> --
>
> JPD
>

> SGFN

I am not sure about local variations....but

I have just started a Lawful Valk...after 1000 turns

She is Human and on DL3

The mines were found on DL2

By luck I found a Scroll Of Genocide and used it on Mind Flayers

She has 2 unid scrolls and rings

and she has just prayed....and the cat is still alive.

My email is valid...first person to email me gets the save game...if you
want it, please play soon and post back.

Cheers, Dave

Sounds like it might be a little too open to cheating and will likely
end up ascending... :)

You would have to get people to #name items correctly to help pass
notes from person to person. I might also suggest maybe a time limit
of playing time (if somehow done on a telnet server via software
modifications) instead of x number of turns.

-sawtooth

> We each take it in turns to play 1000 turns, and email the save-game to the
> next person.

How'd you take care of different architectures/local patches?
I think one should better use NAO for this.

Greetings,
Benjamin

mark

"Dave Hammond" <davidjhammond@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<42598020$0$27830$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>...
> I am not sure about local variations....but
>
> I have just started a Lawful Valk...after 1000 turns
>
> She is Human and on DL3
>
> The mines were found on DL2
>
> By luck I found a Scroll Of Genocide and used it on Mind Flayers
>
> She has 2 unid scrolls and rings
>
> and she has just prayed....and the cat is still alive.
>
> My email is valid...first person to email me gets the save game...if you
> want it, please play soon and post back.
>
> Cheers, Dave

Your a brave man dave, be prepared for a heap of emails. Just posting
mainly to mention that I am one (of prob many) people to have emailed
dave, so, for his case, no more emails are necessary, and also to
sugest attaching a notepad doc with notes for that game (ie DL's with
alters, poly traps, water, etc), as well as posting on here any
significant occurances in your 1,000 turns.

Im surprised this idea hasnt been thoguht of before (or has it?), Im
sure a lot of people will get behind it.

Mark

sawtooth wrote:
> Sounds like it might be a little too open to cheating and will likely
> end up ascending... :)
>
> You would have to get people to #name items correctly to help pass
> notes from person to person. I might also suggest maybe a time limit
> of playing time (if somehow done on a telnet server via software
> modifications) instead of x number of turns.
>
> -sawtooth

I very much dislike telnet, as it takes so long (compared to playing it
normally) to play (well, for me anyway, being on dial up), and I think
we'll just have to use the honour system, if someone ends up killing
the character theres no shame, we'll just start another one up. And if
it does become too easy to ascend, someone could do something like
destroying all their items in a bag of holding whilst in the valley
just to make the game a little more interesting...

user

Splendid

Hey, count me on for this as well. I'm far from the best player, but
with my "main" game still stuck in Fort Ludios, this might be a fun way
to get back into playing nethack a bit regularly.

Sending a simple .txt file with the save file to store notes on various
things is a good idea. Perhaps at the top of the file should be a list
of who is involved in the round-robin with email addys in the
appropriate order. So once you're done, you just email it to the guy
below you on the list.

And if anyone dies, they just start another char and bust out the first
1000, and send it on.

I must say I like the no shame thing....I tend to not survive a huge
amount of time....but I'd like the chance to see how more experianced
players set up their characters....Val is good....What happans if the
persons gone for a bit and can't continue? Mabey they have to send a
confirmation they got it within a week or so, or it gets passed to the
next person? I'm just thinking I'd like to play but will be lacking net
acess much of the summer and would hate to hold up the game.

Also how will bone levels be delt with?