Nettop Round-Up: Four Tiny PCs, Benchmarked And Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK, $800 for the ASRock CoreHT 252B. A laptop cost less, has better performance for that price range, better mobility and space saving plus you have everything (screen, speaker etc). I rather get a laptop for a small office.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
These all seem expensive to me, considering you could probably build a better mini itx slim form factor system from scratch for about half the price.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Nettops? These things are far too expensive to be nettops.
They are small form factor PCs or home theatre PCs, but they are not nettops.

btw: Mac mini should be in this lineup.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Very nice article. I was about to request something like it :)

Mac Mini should be in this lineup? Actually, a good idea. I'd love to see how it compares to similar Wintel boxes.

I'm through with these small boxes because they're a pain in the a$$ to service and the hardware isn't good for the price ($800?! gimme a break!), but I see value in them for people who are ready to pay more for the small size.

If I would build a small form-factor box myself, I'd use something like this new Lian Li case which was in Tom's news recently - it can fit proper PCI/PCI-E cards.

Again, lovely article. Keep it up.

P.S. The ASRock box is great.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I second the sentiment that these aren't really nettops. Luckily, the next iteration of Llano should rectify that, creating the golden triangle of CPU , GPU, and low cost. At least that's what I expect anyway. These reviewed units are more HTPC solutions than low cost nettop. Intel has a new half height miniITX initiative with a rare and relatively expensive 1155 mini ITX to match. However, once Intel's iGPU gets a serving of HTPC friendly features, you could build your own full featured, passively cooled system to take these units on performance and price as well. The move to 22nm should make low powered passively cooled CPUs easy to get right. As it stands, each of the solutions tested are pretty good, but I'm not sure that any of them are worth the asking price. In particular, I've always avoided Atom like the plague, and I don't think they're appropriate in small form factor systems that cost more than about $200.

ruban71

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Can we now have a comparison against a couple of ITX builds? Choose an nice looking case and show us what can be put together for similar money.

G

I've owned an E350 - struggles with HD playback in a linux system, there doesn't appear to be any support for the amd hardware decoding. So if you were thinking of making a linux htpc out of it, go for something more powerful... It will perform better though as in the article above if using Windows (Using I think - Media Player classic which allows hardware h.264 decode.)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I've owned an E350 - struggles with HD playback in a linux system, there doesn't appear to be any support for the amd hardware decoding. So if you were thinking of making a linux htpc out of it, go for something more powerful... It will perform better though as in the article above if using Windows (Using I think - Media Player classic which allows hardware h.264 decode.)

I agree; I had to deal with E-350 (great mini-ITX Gigabyte board, btw, has everything) two weeks ago. It's a fail in Ubuntu, I barely got Compiz to work there without issues :lol: and my 900 MHz Celeron M can usually max it out...

max40watt

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
My E-350 w/ Win7 running inside an old Nintendo makes for a fine HTPC.

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

zaho0006

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Also would say my E-350 system is fine, was under $300 to build with Windows and no Bluray drive. Plays back anything but 1080P mkv files from WMC (which works fine in other software) and handles all of my HD recording/playback from WMC as well.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]ruban71[/nom]Can we now have a comparison against a couple of ITX builds? Choose an nice looking case and show us what can be put together for similar money.[/citation]

I'd also like to see an ITX system marathon.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The prices are just too high. It shouldn't be possible for me to just buy a superior performing laptop instead, and actually SAVE money.

In that vain, it's difficult for me to even build a llano based system myself, at a low enough cost to justify doing so.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I wanna see how good some undervolted Llano performs against anything else when set on an ITX heatsink-like case. I have a feeling running Crysis on a silent rig with system power comsuption below 80W is the deal of the decade.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]btw: Mac mini should be in this lineup.[/citation]

I completely agree -- this was a large omission as the Mac mini is actually the class leader in this segment. Surprisingly, it is even price competitive with the PC options listed above! (weird for Apple)

This comparison would be more valuable than typical PC/Mac because OS is largely irrelevant for a websurfing/netflix nettop. The lighter footprint of Mac OS would probably yield better performance.

I think they are all overpriced for nettops. Basically this should be an internet appliance, a toaster for quick browsing and checking your account balance..I wouldn't buy any of them. I'd build one cheaper.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Jesus, if you compare this boxes to the MacMini, the mac has slightly better specs and is even cheaper and moreover even has a smaller design. This shows how Apple do indeed offer a competitive price, in this particular category at least.

G

The address is wrong for the Artic - should be www.arctic.ac

www.arctic.ca is a webmail site

[citation][nom]max40watt[/nom]My E-350 w/ Win7 running inside an old Nintendo makes for a fine HTPC.
IMG_1739.jpg
IMG_1725.jpg
[/citation]

That's neat but my NES and light gun still work perfectly.

I'd like to see the mac mini. I remember receiving instructions on how to disassemble them, back in 2005-ish... involved flat sharp object, metal, sharpened with sandpaper and jam between the layers and pry open!!

Status
Not open for further replies.