Question Network activity pasting picture on a website

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Hello everyone

When I replied in a thread on another forum (Hardwareonline), I used the “Paste” function (I use Google Chrome). To my surprise, text was not pasted, but instead a picture that I had copied earlier from Gimp was pasted in the comment field. The picture was shown in the comment field after it was pasted (I did not enter / post the comment, but deleted the content).

Afterwards I have conducted various tests in Gmail, Quora and other forums with a comment / answer-field. For my tests I have tried pasting a picture copied from Gimp and also copying a PNG-file from a folder in Windows. I used Windows Resource Monitor, where I kept an eye on network activity for Google Chrome.

When I paste a picture in a Gmail mail, or the comment field on Quora, the pasted picture is displayed, and there is an instant network spike for Chrome in Resource Monitor. There is no network activity for Chrome when I paste a picture in the comment field on Hardwareonline.

Why is there no network activity, when I paste a picture in the comment field on Hardwareonline, but there is a huge network activity spike when I paste a picture on Quora or in a mail in Gmail?

Is it because, that the picture displayed in the comment field on Hardwareonline is only a local display? And that, the picture is only uploaded / network activity, when I enter / post comment?

I have tried pasting pictures from Gimp and PNG-files in other comment fields on other forums aswell. There is no display of the picture and there is no network activity for Chrome in Resource Monitor.

If I copy a picture from Grimp, and try pasting that picture on a website, either by Ctrl. V or “Paste”, and there is no display of the picture, and there is no network activity. Can I then conclude, that no parts of the picture / no picture data has been uploaded to the website?

If I copy a PNG-file from a Windows folder, and try pasting that file on a website, either by Ctrl. V or “Paste”, and there is no display of the picture, and there is no network activity. Can I then conclude, that no parts of the file / no data has been uploaded to the website?

Thank you for replying

Best regards