Question Network Adapter Crash

joepizuro

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hello. My name's Joe Pizzurro. I haven't had to ask a tech question online for almost 10 years but here I am, hoping I wont be buying a B450 to start tinkering further.
I had an asrock x370 fatality gaming x, 16gb of kingston hyper x 3200, ryzen 5 2600x and a rx 5700. (All was good)
I gave my GPU to my father in law for his mining rig and he gave me a ryzen 5 3400g (What a trade LOL but new in box) but it did require me to flash up to BIOS 5.5 (Max AsRock told me my CPU is supported for). ( I did try other BIOS versions with same issue)
After rebooting into Arch I had to rename the LAN adapter in configs, it had changed names, no further issues. In Windows however, intensive games were crashing the Network adapter with an error, followed by the error 43, could not start (Reboot and all was good). I tinkered around with a reinstall of Windows, removing every overclock from Bios, Stopped the Core boost, auto overclock, ram overclocks, ran it manually set to 3700 with 1.4v, all the same issue, no matter what speed I chose for the ram also. Now I'm back on Auto everything works fine until I game for a while (No its not temp related) or run a certain prime95 test. The ram did pass memtest, waste of 3 hours lol. I tried different Lan/GPU drivers followed by underclocks on cpu/ram for every combination I could find. I've spent a week of nights trying to diagnose this. Lan drivers from the MOBO download page, newer lan drivers, microsoft drivers, the all in one driver they have to download, new and old GPU drivers incase its an APU issue....
I do use Grub as my boot loader but symptoms are same using windows directly, grub still launches windows boot loader when chosen, not just windows directly.

Quickest way to reproduce the error is running Prime95 with Large FFTs (Stresses Memory Controller and RAM) -Other tests I dont seem to be having this issue.
This does break windows for me, as I only use it for gaming and its only breaking during gaming.

Heres specs and I'll give some pics and attach pics last of what I'm experiencing.
Asrock x370 Fatality Gaming X
Ryzen 5 3400g
16gb DDR4 Kingston HyperX(Fury) 3200
750W EVGA PSU (In Basement Pulling air from bottom, exhausting to back)
Samsung 970 Evo (WIndows) M.2 NVME
Kingston SA400M8120G (Arch/Grub) M.2 SATA
2x Western Digital Blue 1TB SSD
Corsair H100I 240MM 2x Corsair ML120 fans set to Performance (Intake Fans/Front) and BIOS controlled, pump set to full speed
2x Corsair ML120MM and 1x Corsair ML140mm (Exhaust/Top/Rear)
Currently running XMP2/2936 (Rumored sweet spot for this APU)

EDIT: Going to have to upload photos elsewhere, cant find the attach button anymore.
Crashed while finding a site to upload the pics on.

cXyBMbM

Showing Semi-Idle
Full Load (Small FFT Test) - Still OK
Full Load (Large FFT Test) - Crashed 1 second before Screenshot (Not network bottom right and missing adapter)
Error Code after crash (Happened searching online this time)

BP3yWQ5

ZGfNLcJ

V9wbsFb

Last edited:

joepizuro

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hello popatim and thank you for your response. I came from BIOS 4.6>5.2>5.5(Then swapped in the 3400g and it booted)>6.0 originally, following all the steps listed (Included proper AIO drivers at the 2 steps it asked for it). AsRock support (contacted them about current issue) told me to use 5.5 (so I downgraded) but I did update to 5.6 this morning, and I still have same issue sadly.

Last edited:

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Do you have a spare drive to do a clean install on to test whether something has gotten corrupted.? Might just be the easiest and fastest way to test with as you seem to have done a lot already and come up with a blank.

Good luck.

joepizuro

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I'm a little old school and only recently messed with UEFI, if I physically remove the 2 drives containing windows/grub/linux, will windows let me install on a blank drive? I did try to install fresh on a different SSD and was told windows was unable to (due to already being installed etc), if I do this will it be added to my UEFI "installs?" or wipe what I do have in there?

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
I am a little confused by your post.

From the perspective of installing an Operating System (Windows 10) the options are essentially UEFI or "Legacy" in the BIOS.

Legacy should really only ever be used for Operating Systems older than windows 7, UEFI is simply put, superior.

If you have an OS installed with it booting via the BIOS in "legacy" mode, you should keep it that way (from memory you can have problems), so disconnecting the drives physically is certainly the way to go, then set the BIOS to UEFI mode and install W10 as per usual but using the option to delete any and all existing partitions as that will stop any issues with installing W10 on a drive that has/had another OS on it previously.

Of course before you do this, backup everything that you want off of all partitions, and when installing W10 and deleting all partitions you will not accidentaly wipe data as you have physically disconnected the other drives.

As this is for testing purposes you might as well keep the other drives disconnected whilst you track the problem down further.

I would also suggest that you disconnect any and all external devices (printers, scanners, webcams etc), and of course make sure that you install the correct drivers for your OS from Asrock, or even simply grab the drivers straight from Windows update, all you would need to do is to select the "optional" updates and it should list all of the drivers, Windows updates does include (as far as I know) every single driver for your system as per the spec above.

When it comes to booting from your previous OS install, you will need to reset the BIOS setting to whatever they were before you made any changes.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions as needed.

joepizuro

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Guess the issue with windows 10 install was solved by removing all my harddrives except the one I wanted to put windows on, it kept adding 1 part to the wrong ssd and failing the install. Long story short I have brand new windows installed on a brand new 1TB ssd and as the only drive in pc with default bios settings, updated gpu driver, it does same exact thing. I actually put windows on my nvme m.2 first and suspected it was an issue... anymore suggestions? I'm thinking a newer mobo.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Oh damn... wish that you had gotten back to us when your installs failed and before you bought a new drive 😔

When you have issues like this it is typically only a handful of things.

Screwy PSU, possible but not common with your issue (not to be discounted yet).

CPU, possible but very rare, very...

Memory, easily tested by way of a USB drive and memtestX86+ (ultimatebootCD recommend, yes it will work in a USB drive, and as you can guess it has been around for a long time).

Drive cables, you have already ruled these out by way of an M2 drive.

Motherboard... With your issues this would be my first guess, and my second...

If you have another working PSU (that is of decent quality and power output), you can try that on this PC, and likewise Memtest to rule out the PSU and Memory.

As you can then guess, that can only leave the motherboard, which was the prime suspect all along, but is very difficult to test as everything attaches to it and is highly complex.

The easiest (and best IMHO) way to test a suspected motherboard fault is to test everything else and ignore the possibility of a faulty CPU until the motherboard has been replaced as CPU faults vs Motherboard faults are very rare indeed.

As before, feel free to ask questions, and again, good luck.

joepizuro

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
The SSD was for another build, no issues there. The motherboard benchmarked fine with its ryzen 5 2600x prior to this "upgrade." This also rules out power supply issue. I'm stuck on faulty APU vs an incompatibility with this x370. I read somewhere it has a max shared memory of 1gb and do know this apu is using 2gb of it... testing with a b450 would piss me off at this point if it's a bad apu..

Edit: if u see up higher the ram passed the memtest, no issues at all. Took forever too lol

Last edited:

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
The SSD was for another build, no issues there. The motherboard benchmarked fine with its ryzen 5 2600x prior to this "upgrade." This also rules out power supply issue. I'm stuck on faulty APU vs an incompatibility with this x370. I read somewhere it has a max shared memory of 1gb and do know this apu is using 2gb of it... testing with a b450 would piss me off at this point if it's a bad apu..

Edit: if u see up higher the ram passed the memtest, no issues at all. Took forever too lol
Apologies, I was previously on my mobile and missed some of your information, including importantly your CPU. It may very well be an incompatibility issue with your CPU and motherboard (chipset/BIOS), I have not looked into that at all, that really needs to be ruled out before trying a different motherboard.

As for the odds of a faulty motherboard vs a faulty CPU, a few years ago when I used to fix computers for a living I worked out that (roughly) there was around 100-150 faulty motherboards for every faulty CPU. I have no idea about the failure rates of new CPU/APU types and likewise motherboards, but from my experience the "odds" of it being a faulty motherboard far exceeds the "odds" of it being a faulty CPU/APU, but an incompatibility issue really needs to be ruled out.

If you have access to another compatible system that is known to work, you could test your APU in that, and likewise test that systems PSU on yours to rule out a PSU fault (unless I missed that you have already done so.

Testing these types of problems and tracking down the fault is always a PITA :(

joepizuro

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I can easily put the ryzen 5 2600x back in the motherboard and use a video card I have laying around to run some tests. It worked prior to this APU tho. Since that test won't help. Unless the bios update broke the mobo. I either need a newer mobo or another ryzen 5 3400g to proceed.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
I can easily put the ryzen 5 2600x back in the motherboard and use a video card I have laying around to run some tests. It worked prior to this APU tho. Since that test won't help. Unless the bios update broke the mobo. I either need a newer mobo or another ryzen 5 3400g to proceed.
Might be worth doing that as one final test / a test of the BIOS / Motherboard compatibility with the new APU.

On that note, have you gotten anywhere with the compatability of your Motherboard / APU.

joepizuro

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Well, to all who care. My friend sent me a bunch of parts to build a pc for him and I stuck his mobo in my pc using all my stuff (with his permission) and it worked flawlessly.... New motherboard is on its way. I do not see my mobo listed as compatible on the pcpartpicker compatibility list.