Network adapter help!!

ccryder752

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hello,
I am comp. dumb. please advise me if there are settings somewhere that I may have turned off to cause both local and wifi network adapters to become disconnected? My laptop will not assign itself an ip address...says "media disconnected"

Laptops have a Fn key on the keyboard that will activate a certian number of keys that have a second set of letters or symbols on them. You want to look for the key that has the wireless symbol on it , on some laptops it's the top row of F keys that one of them will have the wireless symbol on it.
Press the Fn key and at the same time press the wireless key and that should turn it on.
If you look in device manager see if there are any red x's on the network adapters or yellow flags and if there are right click on the adapter and select properties to see what it's saying in the box about the device.

RSMRSMRSM

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

"Media disconnected" means your laptop's WiFi adapter (the device that connects to a wireless network) is not connected to any network.

Perhaps your wireless adapter is switched off. Follow the instructions posted before this.

If your adapter is switched on and you still get the error then there is nothing wrong with your laptop. You just need to connect an existing network.

ccryder752

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

The wifi light is on and the properties say it is working. Same thing with local adapter...but there are Red x's on both network adapters.

ccryder752

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

The wifi light is on and the properties say it is working. Same thing with local adapter...but there are Red x's on both network adapters.