Network adapter keeps connecting and disconnecting

tbarb

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Over the past week, 5 months after upgrading to Windows 10 (which snuck in by a Windows update); I cannot keep connected to the internet. It connects and disconnects over and over. This affects both wireless and cable. It sometimes switches between the two. I had assumed it was software and not hardware, but I don't know. I read the posts on this but frankly most are over my head. I was wondering if I could go around it and install a USB network adapter and if that installation would close off the current non stable adapter - or if that would make my problem bigger.

I've ran virus scans, Norton Power eraser, reinstalled drivers for both wireless and cable and some Lenovo diagnostic programs (this is a Lenovo laptop), which show the network adapters do fail. Other than that my ability has reached an end.

Could a new USB adapter be an answer?

Thank you

If you are using a tower based system over a laptop that has a Ethernet port on it, and wi-fi also.

When the cable is connected manually disable the Wi-fi adaptor for a few minuets.
reset the system or laptop once done, and let windows 10 reload.

See if it resolves the disconnection of a wired internet connection.

If using a laptop don`t rely on windows 10 100% to get the drivers for your hardware exactly right.
Go to the bran maker of the laptop, and from the model number found on a sticker on the base of the laptop.
Input the line or range of laptop you have IE: Sony Viao then it model number.

Check to see in the support and drivers section for your laptop model if windows 10 drivers exist for the Ethernet adapter, and the wi-fi adaptor.

Download them from the website and install them.
See if it resolves both the Ethernet wired connection and the Wi-fi connecton from disconnecting from your network.

tbarb

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Thanks for replying. I do have a desktop tower system that connects to the same router by Ethernet cable. And it has Wi-Fi, (Both the tower system and the laptop have both Ethernet and wireless) ...but I am unclear as to what you mean by "reset the system and then let windows 10 reload." (Sounds like two things.) I have disabled the wireless and just rebooted the laptop which reactivates the connection. Is this what you meant?

As for reinstalling the drivers I did get them from the mfg site but no improvement.