[SOLVED] Network adapter only works after being disabled and re-enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2021
Hi guys. I'm having an issue with my network adapter since I've bought a new motherboard - a Foxconn Q77M.

Whenever I start my computer, I can't use the internet because the adapter appears with an issue mark on the device manager ("This device cannot start. (Code 10) {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful."). After disabling it and enabling it again, it starts working.

Summary:
  • Issue: Onboard Network adapter fail to be started and only works after being disabled/re-enabled
  • How to reproduce it: It happens more often when I turn the whole computer off, but, eventually, it also happens when I restart the computer.
  • Current workaround: By disabling and re-enabling the network adapter - I can't make a bat file to automatically disable/enable it because it is only recognized after I disable/re-enable it manually (otherwise it doesn't even have a "name" on ipconfig), otherwise it would be easily solved.
  • Driver: I can't be certain I have the proper driver for my adapter, because Windows installed it by itself, I can't find any information about this card on the internet and I've tried several drivers I've found on Intel and other websites. It is shown in the device manager as "Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection"
  • Formatting computer: Already tried formatting the computer and changing from windows 10 to 11 - the issue persists.
  • Hardware:
  • Motherboard: Foxconn Q77M
  • Processor: Intel i5-2500k
  • Memory: 4x Corsair DDR3 4 Gb
  • VGA: GeForce GTX 560Ti
Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Kind regards.

Solution
This: "changing from Windows 10 to Windows 11".

So you are working on a Windows 11 test system - correct?

Windows 11 is going to be quite problematic. Some things will work, other things will not work. Non-working things will get fixed and working things will then "break".

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any Network related errors, warnings, or even informational events.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Ralston18

Titan

Windows 11 is going to be quite problematic. Some things will work, other things will not work. Non-working things will get fixed and working things will then "break".

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any Network related errors, warnings, or even informational events.

Post the results.

Solution
Jun 13, 2021

Post the results.

Thanks for your reply, Ralston.
  • I was using Windows 10 and facing the same issues, after switching to Windows 11, the issue persists.
  • I can't find any error related to this issue on Event Viewer (except the ones I'll post screenshots below)
  • There are no errors on Reliability Monitor related to this issue - just a couple of software critical events and some updates.
Here are the screenshots:

1) As soon as the computer is turned on, after being properly shut down:
Clock shows there is no internet:
clock.png

Device manager shows there is an issue
device-manager.png

Network adapter properties (please notice the error code changed, before it was 10):
properties1.png

Events tab
properties2.png

First, second and fourth events are equal, but the third one is different:
properties3.png

(Clicking on "View all events" doesn't show any different event, just those 4.)

Running an ipconfig /all, as you requested:
ipconfig1.png

2) After disabling and re-enabling the network adapter:
Properties
properties4.png

Running another ipconfig /all:
ipconfig2.png

This issue has been bugging me since I've bought this motherboard, any help would be hugely appreciated...

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I believe that the starting point is the network adapter drivers.

Noted:

IP lease time on router is only 2 hours - not a problem per se but could be causing issues in other ways. The lease time is configured on the router and someone with admin rights to the router will need to change the IP address lease time.

Are you certain that only one network adapter is enabled? The Intel adapter seems to be the active adapter. All other network adapters, wired or wireless, should be disabled.

Consider turning off IPv6 - especially if not supported by your ISP.

Intel network adapter driver:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...oller/intel-82579lm-gigabit-ethernet-phy.html

Confirm that I found the correct driver.

Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure. No third party installers.

Again, Windows 11 invokes any number of uncertainties....

Jun 13, 2021
I believe that the starting point is the network adapter drivers.

Noted:

IP lease time on router is only 2 hours - not a problem per se but could be causing issues in other ways. The lease time is configured on the router and someone with admin rights to the router will need to change the IP address lease time.

Are you certain that only one network adapter is enabled? The Intel adapter seems to be the active adapter. All other network adapters, wired or wireless, should be disabled.

Consider turning off IPv6 - especially if not supported by your ISP.

Intel network adapter driver:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...oller/intel-82579lm-gigabit-ethernet-phy.html

Confirm that I found the correct driver.

Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure. No third party installers.

Again, Windows 11 invokes any number of uncertainties....

I've changed the lease time to 12 hours - thanks for noticing that! I didn't have a clue that option existed and I guess it could explain a few issues I've faced while downloading very long files - like downloads suddenly stopping. I've also disabled IPv6, which has never been used by me.

I'm sure there is only one adapter enabled (plus that Kaspersky one which is new since I wasn't using this security solution before yesterday). This computer doesn't have a wireless adapter - it's an old computer, though it serves its purpose well - if this issue were to be solved, it would be perfect :-(

I couldn't install the package you've sent. Also, I think I've tried this one before. I tried in 2 different ways:
First - through Device Manager: Network adapter properties → update driver → browse my computer for drivers → choosing the folder with packages → Next: "The best drivers for your device are already installed".

Second - through automatic installed that comes with the package: gives me the following message:
driver.png

Even though it didn't work, I believe this package contains the proper driver for my network adapter - but maybe I already have the proper driver installed? It's hard to know since my motherboard's manual doesn't specify what network adapter comes with it.

I wonder if - in any way - postponing a bit the initiation of this device wouldn't make it work without the need of disabling and re-enabling it. Also, I wonder if there is any workaround to make this disable/enable process automatic - which would pretty much solve it for me - since I wouldn't need to do this process every time.

Any new ideas will be hugely appreciated - as your current ones were! Thanks for your kind support!

Ralston18

Titan
All in all, I think you may be in for a long series of problems and issues (appearing/disappearing/changing) with respect to Windows 11.

The preview addition is likely to have many uncertainties and I would install the OS only in some sort of test environment versus a working environment.

You may figure something out only to have Microsoft change something and all is moot. Or something else breaks. (And/or something breaks....)

FYI:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/windows-11

It may be a few months until the final release is performing well and stable. And that applies to firmware, hardware (e.g. network adapters) and software.

Do note that a Windows 11 Category has been created within the Forum. Hopefully an ongoing source of answers for problems.

Another tool that you may find handy with respect to delving into your computer's workings is Powershell. Especially if you are an IT person.

Especially "Get" cmdlets. You can use the Get cmdlets to discover all sorts of information about hardware and configuration. Very handy for troubleshooting.

Jul 13, 2021
I have struggled with this on a Dell 7010 with intel 82579lm. Done all the driver update stuff with no effect.

The best method seems to be using DEVCON .EXE to enable.disable the adaptor.

Install devcon.exe via the methods shown by Microsoft.
Copy devcon.exe to a convenient location I have used desktop
Set a bat file like this in the startup folder

echo on
cd \users\smart\desktop
devcon disable "@PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_052C1028&REV_04\3&11583659&0&C8"
devcon enable "@PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_052C1028&REV_04\3&11583659&0&C8"

Tricky stuff is finding the correct adaptor ID for your set up
NOTE - it must be in quotes with an @ at the front
=========================
What I forgot in the above is that with current Windows 10 you cannot execute the batch file with administrator privileges as is NEEDED from Startup.
You can only do this using Task Scheduler. There are a bunch of descriptions available on how to do this. Remembering to choose the highest privileges option.

This does seem to work for me. But its a lot of stuff to do to get round a W10 fault!

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021
I tried for months and nothing was solved. This motherboard is really old (Foxconn q77m) and its website doesn't even exist anymore... Maybe it has some obscure hardware attached to it that Windows detected as an Intel part? I've bought it because it was way cheaper since this is an old computer. However, I've managed to solve my problem by buying a dock station from Wavlink... all in all, I've spent more than I would if I had bought a better mobo, but I can always use this dock for other purposes (like connecting 3-4 monitors in other occasions.

At least I've accumulated some more knowledge trying to fix it - thanks, @Ralston18 for your advice on Powershell. Also, thanks to @smarthousesys for your advice on Devcon.exe. I'll check on that this week, maybe I can make a workaround for this computer to be "usable" without this dock - eventually, it'll go to my girlfriend lol

You guys have been really nice to dedicate some of your time to help me. Really appreciate it. Kindest regards.

May 9, 2022
Encountered the same issue here with the same crappy Intel NIC chip on my MSI motherboard. Couldn't get it to work. Created a super simple PowerShell script, used Windows Task Scheduler to run it automatically with the highest privileges on Windows Startup and all the problems are gone. Native Windows 5 PowerShell, no need to mess with devcon as instructed above.

My script:

Code:
Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName "*82579LM*" | Disable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false
Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName "*82579LM*" | Enable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false

Status
Not open for further replies.