[SOLVED] Network Adapter tested by reputable vendor but still won't work in my PC

YorksBill

Reputable
Aug 9, 2019
My PC knowledge it pretty shallow so please bear with me....

I have moved my old domestic PC to a new room, where the wireless connection is poor, so I bought an Intel (R) Pro/1000 GT Desktop Adapter, and have connected this to a TP Link powerline ethernet.

I know the powerline connection works as my works PC connects with no issues .

The problem seems to be with the network card -Windows says latest drivers are installed, but in Device Manager the adapter icon shows a yellow triangle
the properties windows says:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

{Bad Image}

%hs is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0x

I've also followed the steps on here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...1f7-6a3b-65a6-4d78-7f07eee84d2c#1TC=windows-8
but this didn't help,
in Command Prompt, the response to
"ipconfig/release"
was
"no operation can be performed on Ethernet while it has its media diconnected"

I'm assuming this is an issue with the drivers, since the card itself has been checked (?)
but happy to take any advice on offer!

Thanks.

Seems like you need the proper drivers installed for the network card. Strange that the built-in ones didn't work as that's a very standard nic.

Where did you get the nic from? There's more fakes of these cards out there than real ones unfortunately.

YorksBill

Reputable
Aug 9, 2019
Seems like you need the proper drivers installed for the network card. Strange that the built-in ones didn't work as that's a very standard nic.

Where did you get the nic from? There's more fakes of these cards out there than real ones unfortunately.
Thanks SamirD -Scan UK is a trusted supplier, so I think it's most likely something awry in my old machine...?

YorksBill

Reputable
Aug 9, 2019
sound like issue with your pc. full system spec?

is this the kind of info that would help?
(this is from 'ThisPC>Properties')

Processor Intel(R) Core (TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHx 2.79
Installed RAM 12.0 GB
System Type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
OS Build 19042.867
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

?
and I've checked the card again, definitely an Intel (R) Pro/1000 GT Desktop Adapter

YorksBill

Reputable
Aug 9, 2019
Thanks for the advice so far...

I downloaded the drivers package from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/50480/Intel-PRO-1000-GT-Desktop-Adapter ,
unzipped/extracted, and ran the Autorun.exe

but this failed too
(I can't attach screen shots so can only transcribe the message window):

alongside the yellow warning triangle, this message:
<< Intel Ethernet network drivers were not detected.
Please download and install the Intel Ethernet driver package and try agai
n. >>

which I have tried twice, extracting it into a folder on the desktop, and also into a folder in 'Documents'
-should this be extracted/unzipped into another folder to work?

Thanks!

YorksBill

Reputable
Aug 9, 2019
You said the card was checked, how? If it's not loading on your system to test it someone must have loaded it on theirs. Ask them exactly what drivers they used.
thanks, -yes it was the vendor ran the test, but I've subsequently learned that the card does not have drivers for Windows 10. (I would have thought the vendor might have mentioned that, but it seems not! -I'm guessing they assumed I posess a greater knowledge than I do! )
I've tried another network device and have been able to connect via that.

Thanks for the help everyone! (y)

I'm not sure how to flag this thread as closed!