Question Network adapter won't stay powered for WoWLAN

Jan 16, 2023
Hi, here's a tough one.

I'm trying to set up Wake on Wireless LAN. My computer has a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 motherboard and a AX210 based PCI network card. I'm using a RPI 3 to wake it.
Using Wireshark I found etherwake (linux package) wasn't working with the wlan0 interface on the RPI. I switched to wakeonlan and now I can see packages sent through the broadcast address 192.168.1.255.

When I shut down the computer the led on the network adapter goes off, so I think the problem must be something related to PCI-e power options.
WOL through ethernet cable directly to the motherboard's built-in gigabyte connection works flawlessly.

In the BIOS I have WOL enabled. The network adapter doesn't show up, but the ethernet interface of the MB does and has WOL enabled too. I don't find anything related to PCI-e power states.

The funny thing is I had and old 2.4GHz band TP-LINK network adapter (the cheapest one), obviously not compatible with WoWLAN. Even tough, it worked! The new one is compatible on paper, but it's not working.

Anyone gone through this or a similar situation could give me some advice? I don't know where to look into anymore... I've tried everything so far.

Thanks.

Wake on lan has always been a unstable thing and microsofts involvement with their own proprietary sleep/bios states makes it even more confusing.
It seems sometime if you shut the machine down in the wrong way microsoft will somehow over ride the WoL settings. Not really sure what it is doing. Even when it works it was very common for me to have to send multiple WoL packets before it would respond.

I am not sure why wake on wireless lan even came about. It is kinda stupid the wireless card must be very active all the time so that the encrypted session does not get dropped. I have not seen bios setting for the wireless version so I am uncertain if it is the OS or the BIOS doing the function.
This has to take power so I am unsure how much different this is than using one of the microsoft low power sleep modes. This tends to work much better than any form of wake and I doubt there is a significant difference in the power.

If you really want to power the machine off and then wake it up the simpler method is to use one of the fancy power outlets. You can set the bios that as soon as it sees power it boots. This seems to work almost 100% of the time.

Reactions: alvarodel8
Jan 16, 2023
Wake on lan has always been a unstable thing and microsofts involvement with their own proprietary sleep/bios states makes it even more confusing.
It seems sometime if you shut the machine down in the wrong way microsoft will somehow over ride the WoL settings. Not really sure what it is doing. Even when it works it was very common for me to have to send multiple WoL packets before it would respond.

I am not sure why wake on wireless lan even came about. It is kinda stupid the wireless card must be very active all the time so that the encrypted session does not get dropped. I have not seen bios setting for the wireless version so I am uncertain if it is the OS or the BIOS doing the function.
This has to take power so I am unsure how much different this is than using one of the microsoft low power sleep modes. This tends to work much better than any form of wake and I doubt there is a significant difference in the power.

If you really want to power the machine off and then wake it up the simpler method is to use one of the fancy power outlets. You can set the bios that as soon as it sees power it boots. This seems to work almost 100% of the time.

Didn't know that option was available in the BIOS. I'm checking it out when I get home, it seems a far easier way to setup this, and leaves the RPI available for wired DNS and VPN use.

I have one concert tough, if I shut down the computer normally, then I'll have to turn off the plug, leaving the computer without power (no hard shut downs directly from the plug). Is it safe to do that on a daily basis?

Thanks very much for your help!

Yes it is basically a 2 step shutdown. You don't just want to kill the power. I don't know it is actually more than if you use WoL. You still have to cleanly shut it down for WoL to work. That is part of the issue of why it tends to sometime not work.
After the machine is shutdown you could I guess either shut the power plug off or leave it on and then turn if off and back on when you want the machine to start.

When I used to do it I used to turn the plug off under the theory at least it would protect the computer against dirty power but I was using one of the cheapest power plug things you could find so hard to say if it would protect anything.