[SOLVED] Network Administrator help. Filtered content even though the option isn't turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2021
Hello, and thanks in advance for all of those who try to help.

I have had this issue for a long time now (couple of years) and now I am just starting to get really tired of it. I have tried everything, from changing DNS setting, going into the registry, e.t.c.
Basically I have a content filter. I cannot access sites like reddit.com and newgrounds.com, and videos are restricted on youtube. I had a content filter a few years ago, but it has been long turned off.
I even recently checked the router settings, and all parental controls and filters were turned off. And any new computers in the household did not have any restrictions at all. For some reason the filter has been like a curse that follows me and only me.

Because all signs are pointing to the problem being with my PC, and not the ISP, I was wondering how to remove this for once and for all!

General specifications: Filters all web browsers, chrome, edge, firefox, e.t.c. , Deleting and reinstalling web browsers did not do anything. The Error message for going into one of these websites is strange, being
This site can’t be reached
Check if there is a typo in old.reddit.com.

• If spelling is correct, try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Which implies that the address is misspelled, and not being blocked.

Solution
Might be local cash overrides your DNS query...
Try this:
  1. Open any text editor with administrative privileges (type "notepad" in search and right-click->run as admin).
  2. From within notepad, click on file->open and browse a file named "hosts" located in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc". If you do not see files in that folder, select "All files" in the box next to the file name or just type "hosts" in the filename box.
  3. Once loaded, comment everything (put a "#" sign in front of every row) and save, then reboot. If it does not let you save - means you did not open it as admin...
Might be local cash overrides your DNS query...
Try this:
  1. Open any text editor with administrative privileges (type "notepad" in search and right-click->run as admin).
  2. From within notepad, click on file->open and browse a file named "hosts" located in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc". If you do not see files in that folder, select "All files" in the box next to the file name or just type "hosts" in the filename box.
  3. Once loaded, comment everything (put a "#" sign in front of every row) and save, then reboot. If it does not let you save - means you did not open it as admin...

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Basically I have a content filter. I cannot access sites like reddit.com and newgrounds.com, and videos are restricted on youtube. I had a content filter a few years ago, but it has been long turned off.
I even recently checked the router settings, and all parental controls and filters were turned off. And any new computers in the household did not have any restrictions at all. For some reason the filter has been like a curse that follows me and only me
. "

Also:

"For some reason the filter has been like a curse that follows me and only me."

Be aware that Forum rules prohibit assistance with bypassing security features, parental controls, content filters, hacking passwords etc..

You did not explicitly ask for such assistance but that does not matter.

If there is a content filter, some parental control, or other blocking mechanism, etc. in place and if you are unable to manage or remove said filter yourself you will need to work with whomever does control your network, your network router, and perhaps even your computer.

There is no way on this end to determine what the circumstances are nor the situation overall

Closing thread accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.