Network AP interference

natewad

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
I seem to be getting a large amount of interference when I connect to my access point. My setup is currently an access point on my upper floor that is hardwired with a very long ethernet cord to my router in the basement. Connecting to my main router's 5Ghz connection while in my basement usually allows for an almost flawless connection so I believe the problem lies within the AP itself. It often does not allow for video streaming but it is most noticeable when gaming as my ping will usually be very inconsistent where sometimes it could stay at 30 then jump to around 400-500 every 30 seconds. Changing the Wifi channel can sometimes help a little but only temporarily as after a few minutes it normally goes right back to being inconsistent. It does get noticeably worse in the evenings. This is what leads me to believe it could be interference of some kind, I seem to have tried most solutions I can find on this site and others but none have really helped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

natewad

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016

I am currently using an engenius EAP350, the cable is wired through the walls to my upper floor and since other people on my upper floor also use this access point for their devices I wouldn't be able to use this cable for my computer alone. I know wireless is very sub optimal but currently I don't have other options, just wondering if there are solutions to limit or solve this or its just something I will have to live with if I am going to use wireless internet.

kanewolf

Titan
Yes, you could use the cable for your computer. Just add a switch between the wall and the AP. Then connect your computer into the switch.

For others using that AP, I might recommend upgrading to a much newer model. That one might have been good 5+ years ago. But today, a newer dual band AP will work much better for multiple people.

natewad

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016

Just from where that wiring runs to currently it wouldn't be feasible to run it from there to my computer without have wires running throughout the halls. Is there anyway I could optimize my current router setup to avoid interference or is it a kind of unavoidable on the 2.4 GHz bands? I personally don't really understand whats causing it because if I have my 2.4Ghz band on the basement router running (Its normally off in favor of the 5Ghz only since we have the AP) I seem to get significantly less interference. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Ethernet wiring itself because if I wire it to my laptop in the hallway it works just fine.

natewad

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
posting this here in case anyone has a similar problem, seems to be fixed by setting the encryption on my AP to the same as my main router, this fixed it instantly and has been running smoothly for the past 2 days. I will look into getting a dualband AP as well, Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan

That didn't change anything from a radio perspective. Any improvement you have is coincidental.