"Network Cable Unplugged" when trying to use 1 gigabit duplex

JackSLR783

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
All of our hardwired (Ethernet connected) PCs in my house are connected to the router with a 100 Mbps connection when on auto negotiate. We have a Ubiquiti access point that we use for WiFi instead of our router that automatically connects to the router with a green light/1 gigabit connection. When I try to set my hardwired PC to 1 gigabit duplex, the lights turn off on both ends and it says the network cable is unplugged.

All of our Ethernet cables are CAT 5e, and the problem happens on both windows 10 and 7. I have tried everything from using different cables to switching ports but nothing works. The access point has a download of 125 Mbps and the hardwired PCs have a download of 85-93 Mbps. The router, cable, and PC is capable of gigabit connection, but it simply refuses.

Any suggestions on why that is?

kanewolf

Titan
How are these wired computers connected? To wall ports and then a central location? If so, then buy a commercial cat6 cable and run it across the floor to the same central location. Do you get gigabit connectivity ? If so then your wiring is not good. You will have to look at every step of your in-house wiring to determine where the substandard parts are.

JackSLR783

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

I tried CAT 6, but it didn't fix it. Everything is connected by wall port, including the access point

kanewolf

Titan

You ran a new commercial cat6 cable direct from the router to the PC and you still can't get a gigabit link?

kanewolf

Titan
OK, if you connected a new cable direct, then try a different router port, and physically look at the port on the PC. There should be 8 parallel "fingers" as shown in this picture --
MXMag_Series_93745.jpg
All 8 are required to get a gigabit connection.

Set your PC port back to auto-negotiate. Forcing speed and duplex is a bad practice, in general.