Network card issues

Jammy Duel

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
A while back I replaced my motherboard which had some issues with LAN, eventually I got it sorted, but then later started being problematic again. I tried the same steps to try to fix it again and it didn't work, so used the wireless until I got a network card. I'm guessing it's just a faulty piece of hardware, but I've put it in and installed the drivers and nothing. Tried it in multiple PCIe slots and it doesn't work in any of the ones I've tried. Also the LEDs on it don't light up at all, and I assume that one or the other should be on.

Am I doing something silly with a simple fix, not so silly with a not so simple fix or is it just broken?

Specifically it's a Dynamode PXIXGI

What is the "issues" you were having with the lan?

Is the problems with the new board the same as the problems with the old board?

What did you do to fix it the first time?

Please provide more detailed information.

Also, have you tried a different ethernet cable or port from your router?

Jammy Duel

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1973553/motherboard-lan-issues.html

That details the last lot, and it's completely different this time in that the new card doesn't appear to be working at all. In uni accommodation so only got one port, and atm can't get my hands on another ethernet cable.

Fix last time ultimately came down to messing around uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, which I have already tried for this card.

Ok, well if the card does not show up at all in device manager, no ? drivers or anything, then either the card or your entire PCI bus would be defective (way more likely it is the single card).

So were you using the integrated motherboard ethernet at any point without issues, and did you RMA the mobo?

Jammy Duel

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Used it for a week or so after the problem first came about without any issues, and then it came back and I did not RMA it.
Unless the PCI bus has recently become defective it's not that since I did initially have my soundcard in the bus that the network card is currently in and it worked fine.

I would check to see if there is a newer driver availible for the motherboard nic, otherwise if it is still under warranty I would try to return the mobo.

The thing with motherboards is when one component goes out, its very likely tha something else will die in it after a period of time.

Jammy Duel

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I need to ring home later so I'll ask about RMAing it then. Main reason I didn't do it when the issue first arose was due to the pain of being at uni and having to sort it out.
Presumably there is minimal harm in leaving it for 7 more weeks and sorting it out when I get home and making do with the relatively slow wifi, but better to do now?

Should be under warranty since the manufacturer warrany is 3 years and I only got it a couple of months ago

Jammy Duel

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
When one of my hosuemates got home I look my computer through to their room and plugged everything in and it seemed fine (the onboard ethernet connected as soon as it booted), so it would appear it's some issue with the university hardware rather than my own, thankfully.

Jammy Duel

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
mb, inferred it though. I would vote for the port being bad since it was intermittent rather than downright not working when I got back after Christmas. Although, it worked just fine until I changed mobo.