Question Network card limited to 10Mbps

Rinshun

Commendable
Sep 19, 2020
Hello,

My network card is limited to 10Mbps. But it is a 10/100/1000Mbps model. Other computers in the same network don't have this problem. This problem started 1 month ago. It used to be full speed before that(1000Mbps)

I have tried:

• Changing the configurations in device manager: setting to full duplex 1G and no bandwidth limiting.
  • Updating the drivers

Can you guys help me out?

You really want the setting left on auto. You would need to set both ends of the connection you get undefined results if only 1 end is set to auto.

There is not much to this ethernet speed is mostly a hardware function. There are really only 2 things involved. The ports in the 2 devices on either end of the connection and the cable. It is almost always a bad cable that causes problems like this. The ports in the end device a rarely the problem,which is expensive to fix. It should be inexpensive to buy a new cable, it gets more complex if the cables run through the walls but it is almost always the jacks and not the wire itself. Make sure you do not buy fake cable. You want cat5e or better made with pure copper (no CCA) and wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

Rinshun

Commendable
Sep 19, 2020
You really want the setting left on auto. You would need to set both ends of the connection you get undefined results if only 1 end is set to auto.

There is not much to this ethernet speed is mostly a hardware function. There are really only 2 things involved. The ports in the 2 devices on either end of the connection and the cable. It is almost always a bad cable that causes problems like this. The ports in the end device a rarely the problem,which is expensive to fix. It should be inexpensive to buy a new cable, it gets more complex if the cables run through the walls but it is almost always the jacks and not the wire itself. Make sure you do not buy fake cable. You want cat5e or better made with pure copper (no CCA) and wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).
Thank you! I'm gonna revert it back to auto. And try to fix my wiring

Rinshun

Commendable
Sep 19, 2020
Unknown. You haven't described how this computer is connected? Is there in-wall cabling? Wall plates? Homemade cables? Flat cables?
Yea, in wall cabling with wall plates. Not sure about what homemade/flat cable means. There is only the usual twisted pair ethernet cable with the RJ-45 connector. It is connected directly to the router.

But It makes sense to be faulty wiring. If it were a faulty NIC then it probably wouldn't work at all, right?

I'm gonna check with a properly working laptop. If it works, then the problem is the computer. If not, probably the cabling, or even the router.

kanewolf

Titan
Yea, in wall cabling with wall plates. Not sure about what homemade/flat cable means. There is only the usual twisted pair ethernet cable with the RJ-45 connector. It is connected directly to the router.

But It makes sense to be faulty wiring. If it were a faulty NIC then it probably wouldn't work at all, right?

I'm gonna check with a properly working laptop. If it works, then the problem is the computer. If not, probably the cabling, or even the router.
What I meant by "homemade" cables, was are you using any cables you terminated yourself? My guess is NO, since that didn't even occur to you.
Same with "flat" cables. There are commercial ethernet cables that are sold as "flat" cables. They have tiny wires and they usually don't work.
If you want some help with your wall plates, you will have to post some pictures. Use one of the image hosting services like imgur.com and then post the links here.
Get pictures of both ends of the cable, and the back side of the wall plate(s). If you can get a picture of any printing on the jacket of the cable that would also be useful.

Rinshun

Commendable
Sep 19, 2020
So, the problem is in my PC. I plugged a laptop here and it worked fine. I think it's a faulty NIC. But is it possible to be some random router configuration?

Rinshun

Commendable
Sep 19, 2020
My last computer had the ethernet port go out on the motherboard. Was a high end Asus ROG motherboad too.

You can buy a USB to ethernet adapter or a PCIe ethernet adapter.
My motherboard NIC is already fried. I bought a PCI card and it worked fine, but know it's limited to 10Mbps. Yes, I still didn't fix that problem... It's so cheap I thnk I'm gonna buy one, if it works it works, if not... no big deal

TRENDING THREADS