[SOLVED] Network card suddenly stops working

Aug 18, 2021
The ethernet port in my motherboard stops working because I think it shorted, then I bought an ethernet card weeks ago. When I installed the ethernet card in my system, it only works for like an hour then it stops working suddenly. I checked device manager and the driver for that ethernet card is in the hidden drivers, when I opened the properties of the driver, it says on the device status: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer.(Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer." even though the ethernet card is already plugged in the system.

My motherboard is a Foxconn 2A8C and yes, I have a HP system. I have been trying to fix this issue for weeks but I got no luck of fixing this issue. I hope you guys would be able to help me.

Solution
Sounds like a doa network card. I'd try removing it (after powering everything off and pulling the plug and waiting at least a minute for all current to drain), then power the system back on like normal. Then shut it down again and turn it off again. Then reinstall the card and power up and see if it works.

If it doesn't, then I'd exchange the card from wherever you got it as it's doa. I would also caution you to buy a network card locally as these are one of the most faked items on the Internet.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model Ethernet card?

Are you sure that that is the only Ethernet card/network adapter that is enabled: no other wired or wireless adapters should be enabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Sounds like a doa network card. I'd try removing it (after powering everything off and pulling the plug and waiting at least a minute for all current to drain), then power the system back on like normal. Then shut it down again and turn it off again. Then reinstall the card and power up and see if it works.

If it doesn't, then I'd exchange the card from wherever you got it as it's doa. I would also caution you to buy a network card locally as these are one of the most faked items on the Internet.

Solution
Aug 18, 2021

I just did this right now and my system unit has an internet. I'll have to observe it for now if the problem comeback again. Thank you. I'll update if the problem came back.

@SamirD

Quick question: Is it normal for the TENS iso link above to pop up a security warning?

Firefox was not happy with the link.

"Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to spi.dod.mil"

Thanks.
Yep, I get that regularly. I think it's just how they have the site set up since it is a US military site.

Bu the TENS build is robust as anything. The predecessor 'Lightweight Portable Security' is pretty sweet too for older systems. The reason I like these is that they are designed not to touch the existing storage on the system, so no way to mess up the system.

Ralston18

Titan
Thanks.

One of those "see something, say(ask) something" situations.

Did not want visitors here and/or there to be confused by the pop-up security warning.

For the record, the TENS-3.0.3.1_public.iso (609,280 KB) file downloaded for me without any problems or further warnings.

Reactions: SamirD