Question Network connected but no internet access.

May 23, 2020
Hello everyone! I hope someone can help me, I am rather desperate .... for a couple of months my computer has started out of nowhere with this problem, which occurs daily: The network is connected correctly but it is impossible to surf the internet, the sites are not reachable, and this problem is solved only if you restart the computers. So, while you are surfing the internet normally, all of a sudden the connection is lost. It is a bad situation because the problem occurs very often, on average once a day.
I tried to solve in this way: I checked that these options were ticked Obtain DNS server address automatically and Obtain an IP address automatically
I tried these commands in the prompt: netsh winsock reset, ipconfig / release etc ..
I obviously turned the router off and on again, checked the cable etc.
I read that to understand the nature of the problem you need to ping google or the router but I did not understand well how to do it and what I should find out from this operation.
Important: Sometimes the problem also occurred at startup... maybe it can help you understand something more.

S.O: Windows10
Router: TIM HUB - dga4132tim (Wired connection)
I called the TIM callcenter and they told me that i haven't internet issues, the network works correctly.

I warmly thank everyone for the help you will give me, i'm in your hands. I hope something can be done! Thanks to everyone!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
General FYI - The linked article is in Spanish. That is okay but if you can provide an English version link that would be helpful.

Also: update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection? You mentioned "checked the cable" which implies wired - please confirm.

On your computer, run and post the results of "ipconfig /all".

Make and model router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue. Who has full administrative rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

May 23, 2020
General FYI - The linked article is in Spanish. That is okay but if you can provide an English version link that would be helpful.

Also: update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection? You mentioned "checked the cable" which implies wired - please confirm.

On your computer, run and post the results of "ipconfig /all".

Make and model router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue. Who has full administrative rights to the router? You will need help from that person.
Hi Ralston, thanks for advice! I edited the post as you told me, and I deleted the article because it was in Italian (I have not found an equal article in English).
I also took a screenshot of the command prompt after typing ipconfig / all, but it's all written in Italian and I don't know if anyone would understand.. What are the data you need to know? I can translate them into English!
It seems i don't have password and username to looking for The router's logs. How can i do to obtain them? Thanks!

Last edited:
Do all devices connected to the network have this issue when it happens or just your computer?

I strongly suspect a hardware issue with the network card if it is just your computer. To test this, boot up a linux live cd/dvd and see if you lose Internet connection there while browsing. If you do, and there is no issue with any other device on the network, I would try another network connection like a usb nic or wifi and see if that works.

May 23, 2020
Do all devices connected to the network have this issue when it happens or just your computer?

I strongly suspect a hardware issue with the network card if it is just your computer. To test this, boot up a linux live cd/dvd and see if you lose Internet connection there while browsing. If you do, and there is no issue with any other device on the network, I would try another network connection like a usb nic or wifi and see if that works.

Hi Samir! Thanks for reply! I forget to specify that the issue only affects my pc. So it could be a network card problem!
It is a great idea to buy a wifi connection! Thanks a lot for advices!
But first of all i have to try your method about linux cd...but i don't understand very well how to do it...How can i get a linux live cd to test the problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes: Just translate the results of "ipconfig /all" as best you can.

For the most part the "numeric" results IP/MAC etc. on the right side will not need translation.

And the left side descriptions (if a translation is not found) can be "read" (determined) by position and structure.

Who has admin rights to the router? The administrator has the router's username and password.

If you are unable to gain access via Linux or another network adapter ( both as suggested by @SamirD ) then you must work with the router's administrator.

Hi Samir! Thanks for reply! I forget to specify that the issue only affects my pc. So it could be a network card problem!
It is a great idea to buy a wifi connection! Thanks a lot for advices!
But first of all i have to try your method about linux cd...but i don't understand very well how to do it...How can i get a linux live cd to test the problem?
Yes, it could be in that case.

I would try a wifi connection before the linux live cd. If it works, then it points even more to the wired nic going bad. If it does not, then the issue could just be software and the linux live cd will again prove or disprove that.

So to create a live cd, you first download the iso here:
https://spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.1_public.iso

Then write that iso to a CD. Then put the cd in your cd drive and reboot your computer. You may have to shutdown and reboot as you need to access your boot menu, which sometimes only comes up on the first boot. From your boot menu, select to boot off the CD.

Once the system has booted off the CD, you will have a fully live and functioning linux OS all running from ram and completely separate from your physical hard drive and windows. There is a browser so you can check your internet access and the speed.

If you get no Internet and linux indicates that there is no physical network connection, then this is a very strong indicator that the built-in nic has failed. If you have a wireless nic installed, it should pick this up as well and we could test it as well.

May 23, 2020
Hi everyone, thank you so much for the answers!
I have translated the result of ipoconfig!
https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipNcHTP8_ayvGk4cAkyoCZbKCiRF7y3_HOryfgM_
I don't think I have the password or username of my router, I have to call the tim!
So if I understand correctly, if it were a problem due to the network card, i could solve the problem using a wifi connection! Correct me if I misunderstood 😅
Is it easy to set up? Can I do it myself without the need for an expert? I'm going to get one right away if it can solve the problem! :D
If the issue persist, i have to try with Linux cd! Thanks a lot for advice guys! I will leto you know as soon as the wifi adapter arrives!

Yes, if you have a hardware problem with a wired connection, a wireless connection can get around that problem because it is different physical hardware. If this does work, you could even use a usb wired adapter and it would work too. However, if a second adapter like wifi doesn't work, it could be an issue with your windows or the network. This is where the linux live cd helps because if it works under linux and not under windows, it's not the network, it's windows. :)

May 23, 2020
Guys, thanks a lot to everyone, with the wifi adapter I no longer encountered network problems! :D
Everything works correctly, only the doubt remains of what my PC might have had when I used the ethernet connection..maybe it was a hardware problem, maybe the network card had broken..you say?
Anyway thanks to your advice, now have the internet working at the modest sum of 17 euros, and so I'm happy!

May 23, 2020
Sweet! Yep, could just be the connection on the motherboard went bad. All too common. The way you can probably confirm it is with the linux boot--if it's dead there, it's probably dead. If it works there, well, it's a driver issue in windows. :)
Interesting! I don't know, I had updated the drivers card, if you refer to those .. ..so it could be as you say, the connection with the broken motherboard..well in any case now with my wifi I am okay for life, that won't break, I hope ... and if I need more USB ports, just buy one of those devices with many USB ports, you know, stuff like that, they should work well!

If you recently updated the drivers, I would suspect the drivers more than it going bad. Wired is usually faster and better, but if wifi is good enough then you should be fine. And you can buy usb network adapters too, so that's always a quick option to getting a wired connection working. :)

May 23, 2020
If you recently updated the drivers, I would suspect the drivers more than it going bad. Wired is usually faster and better, but if wifi is good enough then you should be fine. And you can buy usb network adapters too, so that's always a quick option to getting a wired connection working. :)
Yes yes, it is very fast with wi fi, it's perfeect, i can see hd videos without problems, i have the router very close to the adapter! Thanks for help! :D

May 23, 2020
😢😢😢😢😢:coldsweat:...The problem .... has come back .... today, at the start of the pc, wifi connected but no internet. I'm down in spirits, I don't know what to think ... I have to try with the linux cd. I am downloading the iso now, I will insert it, I will start linux and I will check what happens with the various connections, and then I will let you know guys ..
The situation actually improved with wi fi, everything went well for a few days, yet ... something is wrong with my computer, and I have to find out ... as soon as possible.
However, if I understand correctly, the two problems I encountered are independent of each other, that is, the problem with the ethernet cable has a different origin than that with wi fi. So I have the misfortune of having two different problems that do not allow me to have a dignified life :)............Did I get it right?

Last edited: