Question Network Connection Issue: Limited to 100Mbps in Windows and Randomly Switching to 1000Mbps

rmartins06112000

Honorable
Apr 20, 2018
Why is my network connection speed limited to 100Mbps in Windows and randomly switches between that and 1000Mbps?

I have updated my drivers and strangely, when I tested the same cable and connection on another PC, it worked fine with no speed issues.

i dont have a network card i connect it to the motherboard directly. Im also using a Cat6 cable.
Any ideas on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Solution
There are not a lot of possibilities. The speed is negotiated by the port it is mostly hardware issue so updating drivers will not generally do much. You could check that you do not have any so called "green" options turned on in the bios.

There is no way to really fix a bad port on a motherboard so you need to hope it is the much more common bad cable.

Just because a cable works on one machine but not another does not mean the cable is actually good. Some machine tolerate cable that are out of spec more than others. Lately there are massive amounts of fake ethernet cable sold. All that flat cable you see on amazon has wires much too thin to be certified a ethernet cable. Still any cable can get damaged and have...
There are not a lot of possibilities. The speed is negotiated by the port it is mostly hardware issue so updating drivers will not generally do much. You could check that you do not have any so called "green" options turned on in the bios.

There is no way to really fix a bad port on a motherboard so you need to hope it is the much more common bad cable.

Just because a cable works on one machine but not another does not mean the cable is actually good. Some machine tolerate cable that are out of spec more than others. Lately there are massive amounts of fake ethernet cable sold. All that flat cable you see on amazon has wires much too thin to be certified a ethernet cable. Still any cable can get damaged and have issues.

I would buy a new cable. You need nothing fancy just cat5e but it needs to be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24 (No flat or thin cables). If you can't find this information buy from another vendor, the sellers of quality ethernet cables know about the fake cables and make it clear that their product is legit and why it likely cost slightly more.

Note when I was checking to see what chipset your motherboard used I noticed gigabyte has bundled that silly gamer networks software. Make sure you have not installed that or uninstall it. This will not cause this problem but it causes all kinds of other problems.

Solution

rmartins06112000

Honorable
Apr 20, 2018
Just because a cable works on one machine but not another does not mean the cable is actually good.

Thanks lets hope its just the cable and not the port then, mine is actually a good cable from a reputable local hardware store, but he is passing in some tight corners so it migth be that.
will buy a new one then.

Note when I was checking to see what chipset your motherboard used I noticed gigabyte has bundled that silly gamer networks software. Make sure you have not installed that or uninstall it. This will not cause this problem but it causes all kinds of other problems.
I dont belive i installed it only the RGB stuff 😬 , but i will make sure i didnt then.

Thanks Again for the help.