[SOLVED] Network connection limited to 10mbps in one specific computer in the house

jewishscream

Prominent
Jul 2, 2020
Hi, I'm now stuck in a place that i tried everything and i dont know where the problem is coming from,
my second computer, has 10mbps limit in the lan drivers, it started since i did a factory reset to this computer, i mean installed windows again from the bios with usb, since then i played some games at the computer and started noticing packet loss and high ping, so i ran a speed test at the computer, and it said 10 mbps download, when i normally get 200mbps, i thought it was problem with the isp or the network provider, but then i ran speed test on the other computer and got 200mbps, at the same time i got 10 mbps on the computer that has the problem, i went to the contol panel of the same computer, and to network and sharing -> network adapter, clicked on the adapter and it says speed: 10mbps.
so here is the fixes i tried to do and didn't work:
  1. reinstalled the driver from realtek website.
  2. tried with other cables of lan.
  3. tried connecting the computer to the other computer station, while one computer got 200mbps the other computer got 10mbps.
  4. tried changing Speed & Duplex in the adapter properties to 1000mbps Full Duplex.
  5. tried formatting the computer again.
Could it be problem with the motherboard?, maybe when i opened the pc case i touched and destroyed in mistake one of the things in the motherboard that is related to the network adapter.
i tried everything i can possibly think of and nothing worked, can someone be my saviour??

Solution
@jewishscream
Yup ... something is broken. Most often this is just a bad cable (got crimped or stepped on a lot). Since you have tried another cable, we can discount that. The next thing I would check is the Ethernet port on the computer. Make sure there is no foreign matter in it and all the pins are straight. After that, it could be a physcial defect or a hardware failure (not easy to fix). Finally, it could be the device the computer is connected to (hub, switch, router, etc), but it sounds like you have tried other ports/devices so that is unlikely. Oh, one last thing ... did something get changed in BIOS that is limiting the speed?

If none of that fixes the issue, I would buy a new Ethernet card (I assume you have a...
@jewishscream
Yup ... something is broken. Most often this is just a bad cable (got crimped or stepped on a lot). Since you have tried another cable, we can discount that. The next thing I would check is the Ethernet port on the computer. Make sure there is no foreign matter in it and all the pins are straight. After that, it could be a physcial defect or a hardware failure (not easy to fix). Finally, it could be the device the computer is connected to (hub, switch, router, etc), but it sounds like you have tried other ports/devices so that is unlikely. Oh, one last thing ... did something get changed in BIOS that is limiting the speed?

If none of that fixes the issue, I would buy a new Ethernet card (I assume you have a PCI or PCIe slot available). It doesn't have to be anything fancy. $10-$15.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I'm now stuck in a place that i tried everything and i dont know where the problem is coming from,
my second computer, has 10mbps limit in the lan drivers, it started since i did a factory reset to this computer, i mean installed windows again from the bios with usb, since then i played some games at the computer and started noticing packet loss and high ping, so i ran a speed test at the computer, and it said 10 mbps download, when i normally get 200mbps, i thought it was problem with the isp or the network provider, but then i ran speed test on the other computer and got 200mbps, at the same time i got 10 mbps on the computer that has the problem, i went to the contol panel of the same computer, and to network and sharing -> network adapter, clicked on the adapter and it says speed: 10mbps.
so here is the fixes i tried to do and didn't work:
  1. reinstalled the driver from realtek website.
  2. tried with other cables of lan.
  3. tried connecting the computer to the other computer station, while one computer got 200mbps the other computer got 10mbps.
  4. tried changing Speed & Duplex in the adapter properties to 1000mbps Full Duplex.
  5. tried formatting the computer again.
Could it be problem with the motherboard?, maybe when i opened the pc case i touched and destroyed in mistake one of the things in the motherboard that is related to the network adapter.
i tried everything i can possibly think of and nothing worked, can someone be my saviour??
If this wire runs through the walls, the wall plates are the most likely problem. Also, it could be the patch cable on the router end of the path.