Network connection timeout

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

We are running Windows 2003 Enterprise server, and several workstations that
are Windows XP Pro, as well as some Windows 2000 machines. I have noticed
that the Windows XP Pro machines seem to have lost connection to any mapped
network drives (even those mapped via a server login script) if left on
overnight, while the win2k machines have not..

A reboot, of course, renews them. I have look at the NIC properties and
don't see any problems. I also have XP Pro machines that log into a domain
on a Windows 2000 advanced server. I never have problems with them.

Can someone give me a hint where to look? Is this an interaction between
2003 server and XP machines?

John

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:06:48 -0400, "John" <john@home.com> wrote:

>We are running Windows 2003 Enterprise server, and several workstations that
>are Windows XP Pro, as well as some Windows 2000 machines. I have noticed
>that the Windows XP Pro machines seem to have lost connection to any mapped
>network drives (even those mapped via a server login script) if left on
>overnight, while the win2k machines have not..
>
>A reboot, of course, renews them. I have look at the NIC properties and
>don't see any problems. I also have XP Pro machines that log into a domain
>on a Windows 2000 advanced server. I never have problems with them.
>
>Can someone give me a hint where to look? Is this an interaction between
>2003 server and XP machines?
>
>John

Turn off autodisconnect, tip 19 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]
"autodisconnect"=dword:ffffffff

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.