Network data transfer speeds

johnrxx99

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
Good day. My issue is transfering data from my PC to a server via a Asus RT N16 router.

Being in the Philippines with brown outs fairly common, again my server, HP Mediasmart Ex495, has failed. So I'm transfering files from my PC to load the server up again. I use the latter for media playback via my Raspberry Pi3.

My PC is a recent build using an Asus Sabretooth Mk1 z170. I have 6 Tb of files to transfer and currently running at 10 mbs using Cat7 ethernet cables!

As I'm sure you are aware the Asus router manual is as good as useless. Does anyone have any idea to speed things up. USB transfer doesn't work as HP have discontinued their service.

It seems to support remote desktop connection, so you could put it on a USB stick, connect to it on your desktop via remote desktop connection where you should be able to pull up file manager and see file locations, USB sticks etc. and just move it that way, then walk away and let it get on with it.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/09/14/hp-announces-mediasmart-server-ex490-and-ex495/

johnrxx99

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
Thanks but regretfully that solution is no longer available as HP requires a users remote website using a domain service from TZO, which is no longer available. The server only allows USB connections for storeage expansion.

So back to the router

Are you sure? It's just a Windows home server box? At the start menu of your desktop type remote desktop and you should have a lye Rdc app, then just use the ip address of the server to connect to it.

johnrxx99

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
Sorry to be rather slow at this but what a lye in relation to the remote desktop app?

When I connect using remote desktop it asks for password etc but no ability to use the ip address. If I use the ip address on my browser, I get the WHS interface screen.

I don't really understand your first sentence.

When I type in remote desktop connection into the start menu I get the RDC app.

This app requires 3 pieces of information.
1. What computer you are trying to connect to, this can either be the IP address, or an internal URL like \\server
2. The user id that you will log on with, John/admin whatever it it might be.
3. The password

After this you should get to the windows 2008 desktop that sits under the home server interface.