[SOLVED] Network device monitoring

Chromatic

Reputable
May 16, 2016
Hello,

in our company we use Solarwinds MSP N-Central for monitoring our network devices.
My question is, what network devices should be monitored and why?
Servers and Clients are being monitored already.
Now i wonder if it makes sense adding other devices like switches, routers, printers and stuff.
Recommendations are appreciated!

Solution
Hello,

in our company we use Solarwinds MSP N-Central for monitoring our network devices.
Now i wonder if it makes sense adding other devices like switches, routers, printers and stuff.
Monitoring of network devices assumes managed devices. Dumb unmanaged switches are transparent so you could only see Up/Down status indirectly by knowing the clients.
For managed devices, up/down status is useful.
Link utilization for APs. Channel utilization for the APs or number of clients is useful. Uplink utilization for switches is useful.
For a router or DHCP server, the total...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

Monitoring of network devices assumes managed devices. Dumb unmanaged switches are transparent so you could only see Up/Down status indirectly by knowing the clients.
For managed devices, up/down status is useful.
Link utilization for APs. Channel utilization for the APs or number of clients is useful. Uplink utilization for switches is useful.
For a router or DHCP server, the total number of clients is useful, WAN utilization.
These are all things to monitor for capacity planning.
For printers, remote monitoring of toner/ink levels is useful for inventory management to purchase supplies.

Reactions: Chromatic
Solution