network diconnecting and re-connecting

Hello:

I have looked through these newgroups and other materials, and I just cannot
figure out why I have these networking problems.

I have a network of 5 computers, 4 of which are hard-wired, the fifth one (a
notebook) uses a wireless connection. My notebook shows a good to excellent
signal the entire time, yet, I experience these disconnects from the network.
It takes
about 10 seconds or so, and then I am re-connected again. This is a big
problem for my ability to run jobs remotely on other machines on my network.
These jobs will terminate when the network connection does.

I have a firewall installed on one of the machines that connects to the
outside world, the other machines have antivirus software, however, they do
not have a firewall. The machine with the firewall is XP Home. The other
hard-wired machines are NT4, and Win 2000 (2). The notebook with the wireless
connection is XP Professional. There is one user registered on four of these
five machines (the XP home machines has a few more since it is used by other
users as well).

The event log on the wireless notebook shows a number of errors, warnings,
and information messages. I get event 4201 which seems to appear all the time
when I re-connect after one of those strange disconnects. I get event 4319
which tells me that
"A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of
the
machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command
window
to see which name is in the Conflict state."

When I use nbtstat -n, I get this result:

Wireless Network Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.19] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table
Name Type Status
DYNAMO <00> UNIQUE Registered
DYNAMO <20> UNIQUE Registered
HIS <00> GROUP Registered
HIS <1E> GROUP Registered
HIS <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

Where can I see that there is a duplicate name? There are only 5 machines on
the network. The workgroup name is the same, and I know they have different
names.

The network connections seem to be fine according to ipconfig /displaydns:

Windows IP Configuration

1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
Record Name . . . . . : 1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
Record Type . . . . . : 12
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
PTR Record . . . . . : steamer

1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
Record Name . . . . . : 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.
Record Type . . . . . : 12
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
PTR Record . . . . . : localhost

donquixote
Record Name . . . . . : donquixote
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.2

7.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
Record Name . . . . . : 7.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
Record Type . . . . . : 12
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
PTR Record . . . . . : nakalo

dynamo
Record Name . . . . . : dynamo
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.19

19.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
Record Name . . . . . : 19.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
Record Type . . . . . : 12
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
PTR Record . . . . . : dynamo

2.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
Record Name . . . . . : 2.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
Record Type . . . . . : 12
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
PTR Record . . . . . : donquixote

steamer
Record Name . . . . . : steamer
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.1

nakalo
Record Name . . . . . : nakalo
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.7

rocinante
Record Name . . . . . : rocinante
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.4

updates.sonic.com
Record Name . . . . . : updates.sonic.com
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 7094
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 63.151.110.101

4.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
Record Name . . . . . : 4.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
Record Type . . . . . : 12
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
PTR Record . . . . . : rocinante

localhost
Record Name . . . . . : localhost
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 603344
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 127.0.0.1

Sorry for the long message, but I am getting desperate to solve this
problem. I would appreciate your input on this problem.
Thanks,
Beate

Mike

Splendid

always worth using a search engine......................

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4900/rh4988.htm

mike

"Beate" <Beate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.2
>

> 7.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> Record Name . . . . . : 7.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> Record Type . . . . . : 12
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> PTR Record . . . . . : nakalo
>

> dynamo
> Record Name . . . . . : dynamo
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.19
>

> 19.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> Record Name . . . . . : 19.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> Record Type . . . . . : 12
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> PTR Record . . . . . : dynamo
>

> 2.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> Record Name . . . . . : 2.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> Record Type . . . . . : 12
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> PTR Record . . . . . : donquixote
>

> steamer
> Record Name . . . . . : steamer
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.1
>

> nakalo
> Record Name . . . . . : nakalo
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.7
>

> rocinante
> Record Name . . . . . : rocinante
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.4
>

> updates.sonic.com
> Record Name . . . . . : updates.sonic.com
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 7094
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 63.151.110.101
>

> 4.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> Record Name . . . . . : 4.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> Record Type . . . . . : 12
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> PTR Record . . . . . : rocinante
>

> localhost
> Record Name . . . . . : localhost
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 127.0.0.1
>
> Sorry for the long message, but I am getting desperate to solve this
> problem. I would appreciate your input on this problem.

---

Thanks for the pointer. I had read about all these items, except for being
logged on as the same user on different workstations. With NT and 2000 I
never had the issue that being logged in as the same user on different
workstations led to network problems. With XP Professional, it appears that
it does. I generated different new users on all the machines, and logged in
as those, and this seems to have fixed the problem. Hmm, I also did a
Firmware update for the access point, maybe that helped, too.
Again, thanks for your note. Beate

> [...]
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.2
>

> 7.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> Record Name . . . . . : 7.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> Record Type . . . . . : 12
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> PTR Record . . . . . : nakalo
>

> dynamo
> Record Name . . . . . : dynamo
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.19
>

> 19.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> Record Name . . . . . : 19.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> Record Type . . . . . : 12
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> PTR Record . . . . . : dynamo
>

> 2.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> Record Name . . . . . : 2.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> Record Type . . . . . : 12
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> PTR Record . . . . . : donquixote
>

> steamer
> Record Name . . . . . : steamer
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.1
>

> nakalo
> Record Name . . . . . : nakalo
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.7
>

> rocinante
> Record Name . . . . . : rocinante
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 192.168.1.4
>

> updates.sonic.com
> Record Name . . . . . : updates.sonic.com
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 7094
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 63.151.110.101
>

> 4.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
> Record Name . . . . . : 4.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> Record Type . . . . . : 12
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> PTR Record . . . . . : rocinante
>

> localhost
> Record Name . . . . . : localhost
> Record Type . . . . . : 1
> Time To Live . . . . : 603344
> Data Length . . . . . : 4
> Section . . . . . . . : Answer
> A (Host) Record . . . : 127.0.0.1
>
> Sorry for the long message, but I am getting desperate to solve this
> problem. I would appreciate your input on this problem.

Carey