[SOLVED] Network disconnects during downloads of games or software

Jul 29, 2021
Hi everyone, hoping for some help here.

My network disconnects across all devices seemingly during the peak of downloads on a new computer I built. It reaches upwards of 30 MB/s, and slowly declines to zero until complete network disconnect, eventually reconnecting after 2 minutes or so. An example of whats being downloading is a steam game or drivers. This only happens when the download is on this new PC, and not any others from what I can see. Here are some important specs for troubleshooting:

Motherboard: MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI (On new PC that causes issue)
Connected to 5GHz network
Router: Nighthawk R7000 Firmware Version V1.0.11.126_10.2.112
ISP: Spectrum up to 400 Mbps

Fresh install of windows 10 Home, no third party anti-virus software, clean HD's. I checked the router logs, and it showed DoS attacks during the time the network disconnects, example:

"[DoS attack: FIN Scan] (1) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [13.226.20.215], Thursday, Jul 29,2021 14:40:55
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.12)] to MAC address 00:71:47:3F:11:73, Thursday, Jul 29,2021 14:40:52"

(The external IP is amazon cloudfront in this case, probably what I'm downloading the games/software from, so I don't believe it's a true DoS)

As far as I can see, all devices on the network disconnect, hardwire connections and wireless (Phone, PC, Alexa, Laptop, TV, ect).

What I've tried:

Disabled Port Scan and DoS Protection in WAN settings on router
Lowered 2.4GHz Speed to 50%, made 5GHz Speed 100% in router
Upgraded Router Firmware
Enabled QoS in Router settings
Rebooted Modem and Router
Updated Windows on new PC

Extra notes:

The speedtest on my new PC (5GHz Wifi) is considerably faster than my hardwired PC with a Cat6 cable. 350Mbps vs 170 Mbps. Could it be I'm being throttled by my ISP because my Network adapter for my new PC is just too fast and pulling so much? I'm stuck, any input is appreciated.

Solution

My network disconnects across all devices seemingly during the peak of downloads on a new computer I built. It reaches upwards of 30 MB/s, and slowly declines to zero until complete network disconnect, eventually reconnecting after 2 minutes or so. An example of whats being downloading is a steam game or drivers. This only happens when the download is on this new PC, and not any others from what I can see. Here are some important specs for troubleshooting:

ISP: Spectrum up to 400 Mbps...

kanewolf

Titan

ISP: Spectrum up to 400 Mbps

Fresh install of windows 10 Home, no third party anti-virus software, clean HD's. I checked the router logs, and it showed DoS attacks during the time the network disconnects, example:

"[DoS attack: FIN Scan] (1) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [13.226.20.215], Thursday, Jul 29,2021 14:40:55
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.12)] to MAC address 00:71:47:3F:11:73, Thursday, Jul 29,2021 14:40:52"

(The external IP is amazon cloudfront in this case, probably what I'm downloading the games/software from, so I don't believe it's a true DoS)

As far as I can see, all devices on the network disconnect, hardwire connections and wireless (Phone, PC, Alexa, Laptop, TV, ect).

What I've tried:

Disabled Port Scan and DoS Protection in WAN settings on router
Lowered 2.4GHz Speed to 50%, made 5GHz Speed 100% in router
Upgraded Router Firmware
Enabled QoS in Router settings
Rebooted Modem and Router
Updated Windows on new PC

Extra notes:

The speedtest on my new PC (5GHz Wifi) is considerably faster than my hardwired PC with a Cat6 cable. 350Mbps vs 170 Mbps. Could it be I'm being throttled by my ISP because my Network adapter for my new PC is just too fast and pulling so much? I'm stuck, any input is appreciated.
The MSI Dragon Center may have network software that is intended to improve gaming but is interfering with downloads.
2.5Gb network adapters have had driver problems. I would disable any network portions of Dragon Center and test with wired.
The WIFI is the Intel AX200 -- Also had some driver problems. Verify that you have the latest driver. One was posted to the MSI website YESTERDAY -- https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-B550I-GAMING-EDGE-MAX-WIFI#down-driver&Win10 64

Reactions: Maedriz
Solution
Jul 29, 2021
Thanks for the reply!

I uninstalled MSI dragon center, and updated the LAN, Blutooth, and Intel Wifi Drivers from MSI's site dated 7/28. I attempted to replicate the issue and was successful unfortunately. I had also contacted my ISP (Spectrum), and they had installed new firmware and rebooted modem, although that's really all they said they could do.

It seems to only happen when I'm using the 5GHz network as opposed to 2.4GHz. This sucks, because I want to utilize my full bandwidth when downloading files, but it constantly disconnects when doing so on all devices still. I'm tempted to buy a new router and see if that helps, but something tells me it wont, and that it's related to the Wifi adapter on the MSI board. Any other suggestions/thoughts?

EDIT: Apparently the issue happens on 2.4GHz after further testing. Same thing, when downloading anything for over 5 minutes, it has a high chance of disconnected the network on all devices.

Side note: Any new router recommendations? :)

Last edited: