Network expert needed: bizarre problem

G

Let me first explain the setup we have and then explain the problem. In my apartment, we have ADSL through BellSouth, with only one dynamic IP available. It came with an internal modem, which is installed in one machine that can access everything (Net, games, gnutella) fine. This host has a 3Com905B-TX network card, which is networked to the client through a crossover cable. The client has a Netsurf GFC2206 network card. Both machines are running WIN98 (1st edition) with the latest drivers for net cards.Installed on both machines are TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, Client for MS network, and MS file and print sharing. The host also has NDISWAN bound to the DSL card. (they also both have a dial-up adaptor present: is this necessary?)
So, here is the problem. Upon boot-up, each machine can see itself and the other in Network neighborhhood (NN) and access all drives. I have tried Proxy+, PPPshar, All Aboard, and Sygate for connection sharing. They all have worked, for a little while (see below.) (The proxies are OK, but I prefer to use the NAT programs since they allow stuff like gnutella, etc, from the client.)
Anyway, what happens (and this has happened with all the above programs I believe) is that after some random amount of time of even basic web use on the client, the connection to the client dies. AFTER the connection dies, the client can see itself and the host but no longer access the host harddrive in NN. The host cannot see anyone (including itself) in NN. It is also no longer possible to ping either computer (which it is before a lockup.) I have set up both computers with static IPs. The client has its gateway and DNS server set to be the host (for Sygate-different if other programs recommend different gateway/DNS.)
Rebooting the host solves the problem with Net sharing and NN, that is until the lockup randomly occurs again. aarrgggg...

So, what the hell is going on?? The diagnostic programs for both cards seem to work OK. I have set the MaxMTU for both machines to 1462 (which solves possible problems with BellSouth PPPoE implementation.) I have spent a week working on this, researching, etc, but I am finally at a total loss. Seems to be some kind of network instability, either the cards don't like each other or the crossover cable wasn't a good idea (although it was nice & cheap :) But what do you think?
<b>Please Help!!!</b> My roommate (on the client machine) is starting to get pissed..hehe, he wants DSL too

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are there any IRQ conflicts? Did you check for this? I mean perhaps your Ethernet card and modem card are sharing with another device like sound. If so this could cause an instability if both devices want the bus.

Also, you definitely don't need the modems now. If you don't want to use them either totally remove them or just disable them in the Device Manager to free up system resources.

Good luck.

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

G

No IRQ conflicts. The DSL modem and both network cards are all on their own IRQs. The "modem" is not a modem as such, but just called "dial-up adaptor." Is this the dial-up networking device for WIN? because the DSL uses windows dial-up to establish connection.
Any ideas or ecxperience with crossover cables not being ideal or conflicts between different network card types would be appreciated.

Thanks

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok...yeah you don't want to remove the dial-up adapter. Man I don't know. Maybe Win98 SE would help. Is there anyway you could even try a new crossover cable?

Of course you already know that a router/switch would be better. I bet this would work for sure. I just bought a Netgear RT314 and love it. I've got 3 pc's sharing the one connection and it was really easy to set up. I did at one point set up ICS b/w 2 computers to share a 56K connection. I did get it to work. Anyway, I don't know what else to say- seems like you've gone through all of the steps already.

Let me know if ya' figure this out.

G

Thanks for the replys, you seem to be the only one :)
It seems to be an issue with our internal network. The reason we went with a crossover is b/c the DSL modem BellSouth gave us is internal; what difference would there be between a crossover cable and hooking the two PCs together with a hub? Seems to be effectively the same thing to me....

Do you know of any programs that can help test the stability/reliability of the network? Ive looked around but couldn't find any basic ones-a lot are targeted at "enterprise" type networks (and are expensive too :)
Would just transferring some huge files do this? I'm sure there is something better than that...

Thanks

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Found this: You think the 3Com just doesn't support crossover?

<A HREF="http:// support.3com.com/infodeli/inotes/techtran/a6ee_5ea.htm " target="_new">http:// support.3com.com/infodeli/inotes/techtran/a6ee_5ea.htm </A>

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tried to do a search for you here but didn't want to do the log in thing. Did you search this knowledge database?

<A HREF="http:// knowledgebase.3com.com/division/publisher.asp?product=nic " target="_new">http:// knowledgebase.3com.com/division/publisher.asp?product=nic </A>

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 07/16/01 09:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

No, i had not even found those. Thanks for researching this! I will tell you what happens...

bah..the direct links didn't work. I will go thrugh 3com site
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jem007 on 07/17/01 01:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>