Question Network file transfer drops to 0bytes

Sep 11, 2019
Hi!

I got a strange issue regarding a my PC. Essentially what happens is that when I try to WRITE something to my NAS transfer speed drops to 0 bytes after 1 sec, then resumes after 5 sec. This happens exclusively when writing to the network drive. READING/copying from the drive works fine.

Writing files internally works fine and even external to usb drives isnt a problem.

I did a quick test to disable all non-essential services on the PC, same issue.
Also tried booting in Safe Mode with Networking turned on and issue was SOLVED, everything worked as supposed. But when returning to Normal Boot the issue appeared again.

Anyone got any clue how I can isolate the issue and find what is clogging the system?

EDIT: Good to know aswell, it's a Win 10 machine, updated, a few years old. I also have a few similar machines connected to the same NAS through a switch, all working flawless with the exception of the PC mentioned above.

Last edited:
So how much effort do you really want to go to. Packet loss is pretty easy to see. Problems with applications are not. You can load wireshark and actually watch the transfer. Since you say you have machines that work capture coping the same file on both.

What you are looking for is breaks in the time stamps. If it is long enough you will actually see the capture stall as it is scrolling. Your goal is to see if the application send something to the NAS and it did not respond or if the pc just stopped sending data for some other reason. If you are getting errors or packet loss it is very obvious compared to a normal file transfer.

Still wireshark takes some practice and it require some study on how data is really sent...ie things like widow size...to really understand the captures.

Sep 11, 2019
So how much effort do you really want to go to. Packet loss is pretty easy to see. Problems with applications are not. You can load wireshark and actually watch the transfer. Since you say you have machines that work capture coping the same file on both.

What you are looking for is breaks in the time stamps. If it is long enough you will actually see the capture stall as it is scrolling. Your goal is to see if the application send something to the NAS and it did not respond or if the pc just stopped sending data for some other reason. If you are getting errors or packet loss it is very obvious compared to a normal file transfer.

Still wireshark takes some practice and it require some study on how data is really sent...ie things like widow size...to really understand the captures.

I did a capture of the event when transfering the file. Having a hard time interpreting the result tho. Isolated the events and exported an report. If anyone have more experience in these areas and have the time, please take a look.

https://we.tl/t-5EqVzSaese

In words what im doing during the capture is using windows explorer to transfer(drag-n-drop) a .mxf file from desktop to a mapped network drive.