[SOLVED] Network game lags

Jul 8, 2021
Hi!
Iam having some issues using my fiber optic internet 200/20. I share the internet with my brother and 5 mobile devices trought wifi. My pc is connected trought cabel. I Am a csgo player. When I start online matches, my gameplay is unplayable. I'm laggy when I try to shoot someone or move myself. The problem doesn't appear on offline servers so it must be internet. I have checked ping which is good. Also I have done a bufferbloat test which was good but It shows some retransmissions 2-3%. I think itthe problem can be casued by the retransmits. I have these types of lags for over 1 year now. It is annoying. Sorry for my bad english.

Solution
The test for bufferbloat is mostly a test to see if you have a special form of QoS configured correctly. It will cause bufferbloat pretty much on any connection that does not have this qos. It does not mean you are actually having a bufferbloat issue. You only get bufferbloat if you have overloaded your connection which is kind of hard to do when you have a large connection like yours. So must misinformation spread by gamers who just blindly cut and paste things and go "red bad green good"

The retransmissions likely is a problem but it means nothing by itself. It is likely caused by packet loss but you need to find where it is happening.

A good tool is called pingplotter. You can try this but again be careful. The tools...
The test for bufferbloat is mostly a test to see if you have a special form of QoS configured correctly. It will cause bufferbloat pretty much on any connection that does not have this qos. It does not mean you are actually having a bufferbloat issue. You only get bufferbloat if you have overloaded your connection which is kind of hard to do when you have a large connection like yours. So must misinformation spread by gamers who just blindly cut and paste things and go "red bad green good"

The retransmissions likely is a problem but it means nothing by itself. It is likely caused by packet loss but you need to find where it is happening.

A good tool is called pingplotter. You can try this but again be careful. The tools is easy to misread by people who think the first red thing they see is the issue.

The most common cuase of this type of problem is packet loss between your house and the ISP. Luckily that is the easiest to get fixed. The ISP level 1 tech will likely have no clue about pingplotter so you have to make it simple on them. You want to use a manual ping command and ping the first ISP router. This is hop 2 you see in pingplot. You also want a ping to your router ip the first hop. You want to show the ISP you see no issue inside your house but have problems as soon as you leave.

Reactions: Patrykkkkk1
Solution
Jul 9, 2021
Here are a few short-term fixes you can do:

A. Disconnect some devices from the wi-fi when not in use
B. Reset your overworked router
C. Move closer to your modem when playing games

Since it's a persistent problem that has been going on for a few years, I suggest you upgrade your wifi devices as soon as possible.

Jul 8, 2021
I am using cable connection. It's hard topic with the isp .I had some issues with them like a high ping and loss most likley they dont care. Also I have no clue what is the problem because ping looks good. It's always looking the same in pingplotter but at night its much better gaming expirience.
View: https://imgur.com/a/j9b92hO
there are some ss showing my internet status.
The loss on pingplotter mostly never appears

Jul 8, 2021
I want to add that I tryed to play on other internet. When I was plaing on LTE internet trought my phone modem plug into my pc by usb cable. The gameplay was smooth but laggy only cuz the ping was not stable.

Time of day problems are almost impossible to fix. This means that you are competing for bandwidth with other uses and there is not enough. Kinda like having slow traffic if you drive to work at the same time as everyone else.

This problem can be anywhere in the path and it can even be the end server or the hosting ISP they are using.

The only thing you can even think to get fixed is if the connection to your house is somehow overloaded. That is not as common as it once was. It all depends on if they ISP has the ability to change which houses share the same physical connections. It really only takes a few houses with teenagers running torrent to steal game/movies to use up all the ISP bandwidth in that area but the total bandwidth on these connections is so high now it is not very common to have this issue.

In any case the ISP will always deny they have overloaded their connection. You are going to have to prove it to them. So far none of the testing you have done shows any real problems. I do not know what to really suggest when you can't see the problem with the tools. This also means the tools the ISP uses will not show any problems. They will say its not their problem....but what else can they do they have so much equipment in their network they can't just start to replace it blindly.

Things like the ping command and tools like pathping should show the problem. You just have to get lucky enough to catch it.

Note it many times can be something completely not network related causing this. Make sure you update the video drivers on your machine and make sure nothing else is running on your machine when you are playing games.

Jul 8, 2021
Thank you for clarifying the situation. I think the problem can't be fixed since I call isp. They tell me to make a speedtest check if the speeds are correct if there is no problem. In the past I had a lot of troubles with the isp. When I was using the internet at 9-11pm, the most common hours the ping was even jumping up to 100ms and 10loss. Even my isp sells more speed at a lower price. I used to have 200/20. I will have 400/40 only for 2 euro more. I will pay a total of 15 euro. For me it's crazy any pingplotter, pingpath, dslreports, winMTP shows nothing. I think I will just give up with this internet. Do you think is it good idea to buy LTE connection? I have 500m to closest BTS. Usually I have 40/50mb download on it. I think about to buy antenna and router LTE. The gaming on lte was not that bad buy the ping was jumping. It's understandable because I was connected through usb using my phone as a router with not full connection range. The problem really tired me out. I struggled with it for over 1 year. There are no other isps expect LTE. It really sucks. I have a problem but I can’t show it. It's not that small problems gaming at 8-10pm is suffering. I treat gaming as a job, even with these lags I managed to win many prizes/cash. It's really important for me as its my hobby/job

It depends where you live most LTE have some form of data cap on them. Some it is very obvious other have crap like if you go above a certain amount each month other people traffic will be given priority so it can be very random. It tends to be very expensive for plans that allow you to use a computer on them....ie tethered.

LTE in general is worse than any form of land connection. The load on cell towers changes constantly as people drive by in cars. It can work well if you get strong signal on a tower that does not have a lot of other users. On a heavy used cell tower you can get a lot of very large ping spikes.

Ping spikes to 100ms generally does not make a huge difference in games. They are designed so that someone who has better latency does not have a advantage. It can only do so much though you get say 300-500ms ping and you will see that. Packet loss is also a huge problem but not just 10 ping packets it would have to be say 1% packet loss or 10 packets in a row.

Your only options are to try to capture the results in the testing tools. If you know it happens every day at certain times you should be able to find it. Key is trying to determine where the problem is. If it is in the connection coming to your house it the ISP might fix it if you can show packet loss. If it is not near your house "MAYBE" you could use a VPN service. There is no way to say if this will work since you have to have a path to the VPN company data center that is not passing though the nodes that are causing the problem. You then need the VPN center to take a different path to the game company. These tend to work best for ISP in say asis where not all ISP have access to the most direct undersea fiber cables. In the USA and EU a VPN tends to always make the path slower because of the overhead. For some people who have a crappy ISP it can help even there. Unfortunately you have to blindly try different ones and see if it makes any difference.

Jul 8, 2021
I'm living on village I think the quality of the lte is kind good ping was spiking about 10ms only there is a few ppl using mobile internet so its not that big problem. I was using vpn nothing really changes ;( I will try to take other countries on vpn lets check if it works Idk how they can sell that garbage internet

Jul 8, 2021
I would use only lte for gaming purposes one game 45min-1h game is about 250mb i play 200-250 games per month so its around 60Gb it cost about 15-20euro month. Also i have question why my ping spike in the same pattern whole time. How to fix it? I know my friend had problem with router. They replace his router to the same model which I have he has now execly the same spikes. Before he had straight line in ping plotter without spikes. Also he had other ip (172.21.0.1) on 2nd hop after he get router he get same ip as mine(172.20.0.1).

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021
Time of day problems are almost impossible to fix. This means that you are competing for bandwidth with other uses and there is not enough. Kinda like having slow traffic if you drive to work at the same time as everyone else.

This problem can be anywhere in the path and it can even be the end server or the hosting ISP they are using.

The only thing you can even think to get fixed is if the connection to your house is somehow overloaded. That is not as common as it once was. It all depends on if they ISP has the ability to change which houses share the same physical connections. It really only takes a few houses with teenagers running torrent to steal game/movies to use up all the ISP bandwidth in that area but the total bandwidth on these connections is so high now it is not very common to have this issue.

In any case the ISP will always deny they have overloaded their connection. You are going to have to prove it to them. So far none of the testing you have done shows any real problems. I do not know what to really suggest when you can't see the problem with the tools. This also means the tools the ISP uses will not show any problems. They will say its not their problem....but what else can they do they have so much equipment in their network they can't just start to replace it blindly.

Things like the ping command and tools like pathping should show the problem. You just have to get lucky enough to catch it.

Note it many times can be something completely not network related causing this. Make sure you update the video drivers on your machine and make sure nothing else is running on your machine when you are playing games.
Hey!
After break still the same problem exist. I would like to fix it. I would call my isp but they will say that there is no problem also I don't have any proof. Can u tell me how to get proof what exacly is the problem.

I forget the details of these even after a day and don't feel like rereading all this. So the pretty standard method is.

First test is to leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in a back ground window. If you do not see packet loss or very large ping spikes then it is going to be very hard to find the problem because it is likely between ISP going to the game server ISP.

If this shows errors you run tracert to 8.8.8.8 and run constant ping commands to each hop. Hop 1 is your router and hop2 is the connection from your house to the ISP. These 2 hops are going to be the easiest to get fixed.

Jul 8, 2021
I forget the details of these even after a day and don't feel like rereading all this. So the pretty standard method is.

First test is to leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 in a back ground window. If you do not see packet loss or very large ping spikes then it is going to be very hard to find the problem because it is likely between ISP going to the game server ISP.

If this shows errors you run tracert to 8.8.8.8 and run constant ping commands to each hop. Hop 1 is your router and hop2 is the connection from your house to the ISP. These 2 hops are going to be the easiest to get fixed.
After long time the issue still exists. Can my isp block some ports/ use some type of filtering because i feel some delays between my mouse and my monitor which is doesn't exist offline. I have tries to play on mobile internet the game feel very responsible but high ping and high ping jumps are not the best option. I have private addres ip. Is it good idea to buy my own public?

Yes they could if they really wanted to block ports but that is more to prevent you from running a business web server out of your house without paying for a business account. They also sometimes block things like the default windows file sharing ports to prevent stupid people who connect their machine directly to the internet without a router and turn on feature they don't really understand.

Without rereading this whole thread you are not trying to run any kind of server anyway. They will not block ports on going to a remote server and your game will use random ports in most cases for your end of the connection. You do not need your own public IP unless you host a server. Minecraft servers is what many people ask about on this forum.

Just playing games as a user they would not block. It uses almost no bandwidth compare to say watching netflix, it likely uses even less bandwidth than simple web surfing since there are so many images in web pages.

Blocking ports will not cause the issue you talk about. If the ports are blocked the application completely fails to connect, it does not get higher ping......well I guess the ping is constantly infinite :)

It really seems like your ISP is crappy and if you are like most people you don't live where you have multiple ISP offering service.