Question Network Hide and Seek

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
I have a cobbled poor business man's 7 computer network on a Zoom cable modem/router with a problem . . .

#1 - Full Win 10 sees all.
#2 - Win 7-10 upgrade sees the Win 7 A, Win 7 Laptops 1 & 2.
#3 - Win 7 A sees the Win 7-10 and the Win 7 Laptops 1 & 2.
#4 - Win 7 B sees the Win 7-10 and the Win 7 A, Win 7 Laptops 1 & 2.
#5 & 6 - Win 7 Laptops 1 & 2 sees the Win 7 A and Win 7-10.
#7 - Win XP sees nobody (yuppers, old programs, must have, won't run past XP that is networked to a 98SE!! with older must have programs . . . smile and chuckle, I do . . .) which is no problem since they are on the receiving end never the sending . . .

I have the same settings on all 7 computers . . .

Laptops and XP are WiFi . . .
I have been juggling files around on a USB drive but I am getting a bit tired of that.
Win 7's and 10's are in the 2nd floor office on the Zoom, laptops are mobile and the XP/98SE combo are in the basement with the wide carriage dot matrix printer.

Have you heard 50 pages on a dot matrix printer? Want to know why the XP/98SE and Dot matrix are in the basement? ;>)

Thank You,
Joe

Ralston18

Titan
What model Zoom cable modem router? 2nd floor - correct?

And the wireless XP/98SE computer connected to/serving the dot matrix printer is in the basement - correct?

Diagram:

Zoom Cable Modem router wired to 2nd floor computers

----Wired-----> Full Win 10
----Wired----->Win 7-10 Upgrade
----Wired----->Win 7 A
----Wired ----->Win 7 B

~Wireless ~> Laptop 1 (Mobile)
~Wireless ~> Laptop 2 (Mobile)

Wireless~>XP/98SE <====> Dot Matrix Printer (Basement)

My first thought is to add/use a simple switch on the second floor and from there run an Ethernet cable to the basement.
Use wired connectivity for the XP/98SE computer.

That thought may be a bit premature but so be it. Need to start somewhere....

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Thank You for the reply Ralston.

The problem is in the upstairs office that I should have made a bit clearer . . . oops! ;>)

On a Zoom 5350 DOCSIS 3.0

#1 - Full Win 10 sees all computers.
#2 - Win 7-10 upgrade only sees the Win 7 A, Win 7 Laptops 1 & 2 - blind to Win 10 & 7B.
#3 - Win 7 A only sees the Win 7-10 and the Win 7 Laptops 1 & 2 - blind to Win 10 & 7B.
#4 - Win 7 B only sees the Win 7-10 and the Win 7 A, Win 7 Laptops 1 & 2 - blind to Win 10.
#5 & 6 - Win 7 Laptops 1 & 2 only see the Win 7 A and Win 7-10 - blind to Win 10 & 7B.

The XP/98SE combo is on the receiving end only so no need for them to see any of the other computers.

Joe