[SOLVED] Network issues involving Upload Packet Loss [Twitch Streamer] ?

thereconcheck

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2012
Been a long time since I've had to post a thread on Tom's Hardware. Feels good to be back, appreciate your time reading this.

I've been streaming and playing on the same rig for almost 3 years now. Recently, without doing anything honestly my PC has started to suffer massive upload packet loss whenever I'm gaming. I've tested my packetlosstest online on both of my rigs that are hardlined to my gig service. My other PC comes back clean without any packetloss or hiccups but my main rig is riddled with upload packet loss. I stream & play Fortnite everyday whenever I get the upload packet loss in Fortnite my stream drops frames shortly after.

I've tried a few things to help speed up the "process of elimination" and narrowed it down to my PC being the issue. I've been told to try a hard reset on my PC in case anything was corrupted. Is this the direction to take or is there other things I can try?

Thank you,
GryphonRB

Solution
You have lots of software involved in what you are doing so it is hard to say if it really is a network problem.

Since you have 2 machines i would start with a very old but simple testing program called IPERF. It will test the network part of your machine and it is not affected by disk,memory,cpu etc. You should see 900+mbps in both directions between your machines.

This mostly is to eliminate a bad cable or port or something else very basic.

After this you could try a linux USB boot image and run to the same web site that is showing the loss. This will quickly tell you if it is some software in the machine or windows itself. Unfortunately it does not help much to tell you what software is the cause.

A very common one is...
You have lots of software involved in what you are doing so it is hard to say if it really is a network problem.

Since you have 2 machines i would start with a very old but simple testing program called IPERF. It will test the network part of your machine and it is not affected by disk,memory,cpu etc. You should see 900+mbps in both directions between your machines.

This mostly is to eliminate a bad cable or port or something else very basic.

After this you could try a linux USB boot image and run to the same web site that is showing the loss. This will quickly tell you if it is some software in the machine or windows itself. Unfortunately it does not help much to tell you what software is the cause.

A very common one is any QoS program. The worst offender tends to be the ones bundled with killer chipset but there are a number of others. They can have no impact on traffic outside the machine and if you are overloading your ethernet port you have a far bigger issue than some qos software is going to fix.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
This would be my first step at this point. And if you have issues here, then I would look at the network and hardware.