Network Name was Deleted on All DC's

I am running 1 PDC (Windows NT Server SP6) and 3 BDC's
(same platform).

A week ago, one of my BDC's had a failure, in such a way
that I had to restart it.

Since that time, I have lost my domain. At least, I can no
longer administer it. The strange thing is, Users still
can sign on and I can still join computers with the
domain, but when I user's password is expired, they cannot
change it and I cannot reset. When any of the Domain
Controllers try to access the Server Management or the
user Management, I get thet error "Network Name was
Deleted"

When I reboot the Failed Controller, it tells me Cannot
End Task "MAPI_TCP_HIDDEN_Window"?

My idea to solve this issue was to upgrade all the servers
to Window's 2000 Advanced Server. I have been successfull
in upgrading the PDC and now I can see the Domain, but
still the chanegs I make to user accounts don't seem to
have any effect.

I tried to create a secondary (New System) Windows 2000
Server to replace one of the BDC's but I cannot seem to
set it up as a BDC. When I try to create it as a
Primary, it says "Domain already exists", but when I try
to set it up as a BDC it tells me "Cannot contact the PDC".

I need some help here, so please if anyone has any idea....

For your reference, I ran the McAfee updates to May 19th,
2004 and a full disk scann on all rervers, not Virus was
found.)

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Upgrading to W2k is not a way of fixing these types of issues
as you already found out the issue will prevent a successful
upgrade.

Sounds like one of the netbios domain names went into conflict
which prevented the BDCs from finding the PDC of the domain.
This would have also resulted in the BDCs secure channel being
broken. As far as where to go from here I would consider getting
the current BDCs to communicate with your W2k DC properly
and resetting their secure channels before upgrading them to W2k.
Attempt to map to a share on the W2k DC from a problem BDC
first by name then by tcp/ip address. If either fails what is the exact
error message? Open a dos prompt on the W2k DC and run
nbtstat -n and verify there are no conflicts. If so which name?

BTW in W2k there are no PDCs and BDCs as changes can be
made on any W2k DC and replicated out to all other DCs. For
backwards compatibility in mixed mode environment the first DC in
all W2k domains will emulate the PDC of the domain.