Xanatos

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
I'm a student and need some help and advice from experienced people. I gotta network two computers for a business. I wanna do it like this: They are installing cable modem and want both computers to have access thro the modem for speed. For this I was wanting to use router, have the cable attach to the modem, then use CAT 5 cable to the router, then go to the two computers from the router. Is this possible or do you need a hub? Or do you need something entirely different and am I off base?

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Are you talking about an internet router like a linksys or a netgear? What you can do is get a netgear internet router and hook both systems up to that. Let me try to explain this. Install a network card in both computers. Make sure the drivers are installed and that you have tcp/ip installed. Plug your cable modem into your internet router and then connect the router to the network cards using cat5 cabling. With netgear the router works as a DHCP server. You might have to configure it a little bit but it's easy. Just open up internet explorer go to tools, internet options, click on connection, click on lan settings, make sure you check automatically detect proxy server. Then close that. in the address bar type in 192.168.90.1 then the username admin and password 1234 then configure your internet settings. Then wallah you are on. You only need to configure the router with one pc, but you need to setup the connection type on both. I hope this isn't to confusing. I just made this off the top of my head. Oh and all this is if you are using a netgear internet router.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Xanatos

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
Hey, thanks. This is basically what I was thinking about, loosely in my head. But just learning this in my head.

Ok, I understood everything but a few things. A netgear internet router is just a hardware piece, right? A piece you can get from mwave.com or any other provider. From the prices I checked out their usually around 70-80 dollars, or are they more?

This part:in the address bar type in 192.168.90.1 then the username admin and password 1234 then configure your internet settings

Why does that need to be done?

And you said you need to configure the router on one pc. Is that done in Network Properties with tcp/ip?

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Use the Linksys BEFSR41. It squite a nice product (a small box). An "internet gateway" combines a switch and a router into one. It "routs" traffic from the cable modem and "switches" that data to a PC. You will need 3 pieces of CAT5 cable to do this succesfully. Hook up the PCs to the 1 and 2 ports of the Gateway, then connect the WAN port of the gateway to the connection on the modem. Plus it all in, power it up, and there you go. Remember, READ THE MANUAL!!! The manual for the Linksys gateway in question is quite comprehensive...Designed for n00bs like yourself. Good Luck.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Yeah they're around that price may up into the low 100's. The reason you may need to configure the router is if you are using pppoe or your service requires a login name and password. If not you should be able to just plug everything in and setup both computers for DHCP and be ready to rock and roll. It doesn't matter what you buy linksys or netgear they are both the same pretty much. linksys is smaller but I've heard the netgear has a better through put. I don't know. Just get the cheapest one.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Xanatos

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
Ok, thanks guys. You've helped me immensely. You've given me a good idea. A few more questions tho. Using Cat 5, going thru the rj-45 phone jacks, is that possible and being on the phone line at the same time? Do they conflict or anything?

And it wouldn't be worth going wireless, would it? Wireless I've never used and don't know if its possible at all.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Wireless is going to run you 180 and I don't think it's really worth it. Max speed is 11Mbs as opposed to 100 with cat 5. You will be able to use the phone at the same time. You stated earlier that it was a cable modem. You shouldn't have any problems.

Xanatos

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
Right, I hear you. But to save on wires laying everywhere I'm gonna go thru the phone jacks.

I think thats everything. So thanks guys. One last question tho. Router is the right device to go with instead of a hub because its only 2-3 computers and a router is a smarter piece of equipment, correct?

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Yes. Get a router w/ built-in switch, a "gateway", like described above. Good Luck.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Um.. You can't go throught the phone lines. They are RJ11 and the network is Rj45 they jacks are different sizes. If you want to be meticulous you can run cable in the walls and such but it'll be a chore.