Question Network NOOB!

Sep 24, 2022
Hey guys and gals!

I am a born network noob and need some help, i have been on with my ISP because my connection is abit hit and miss.

I have my setup as below (isp is youfibre 1000mbps down 1000mbps up) the speeds are fine i jst get slight packet loss and jitter on my gaming PC. It also struggles on Dslreports so its as below

ONT on the wall. I have a wire going from here to my Netgear R9000. I then have a wire from the R9000 to my Gaming PC

I then have a wire from my R9000 to an Eero router. I run my wifi through the Eero.

There is no issue with regards to speed, my wifi dosent buffer or anything which you wouldnt expect it to on 1000mbps

I have QoS turned on on the R9000.

I believe my jitter and packet loss is ISP side, because even if i run ONT - Eero - PC with wifi turned of i have the same problem

My ISP have messaged me back saying my issue is i have tripple NAT my network and thats causing the issue.

I have no idea what that means 😂, or if there just saying that as an excuse because as i say ive had it just ont to eero to pc an there wasnt a difference.

The eero is what the ISP provided.

The R9000 is my own.

I also have the wifes gaming PC ethernet to the R9000. She also has issues.

All gaming PCs and wires are CAT8. So cat8 from ont to r9000 and cat8 from r9000 to my gaming pc.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sep 24, 2022
The main drama is i have a 5kd on warzone, i can feel a slight inperfection when playing. Some/most games i get 1-2% in game packet loss. Im wanting to try take it pro with WZ2 an want to get my network peak!

So if i have it all setup wrong, would be awesome if someone could tell me how i should have it!

Cheers

So to start with make sure the ethernet cables you are using are not fakes. Real cat8 cable is extremely expensive and only used in data centers where they need 40gbit. It buys you nothing if you use it on a 1gbit port.

A lot of the so called cat8 cable does not even meet the standards for any ethernet cable. A lot of it is that flat cable that has wires that are too thin.

All you need for 1gbit is cat5e but the wire must be pure copper with wire size 22-24.

The ISP is partially correct. It is kinda the NAT and kinda isn't. It is more you have multiple device in the path any of which can cause issues. The big one is you are using QoS. This is a silly thing to do when you have a 1gbit connection since QoS does nothing unless the connection is full and it must choose which traffic is more important. The problem with QoS is now the router much look at every packet which puts a large load on the tiny cpu chip when you have a gigabit connection. It also must now do all the NAT in the cpu instead of bypassing the cpu and doing the NAT in the hardware accelerator. I am kinda surprised you get good speed test number. Most times just turning the feature on with no rules will drop your speed to about 350mbps.

In any case you need to simplify things to find the source of loss or latency. I would plug a pc directly into the first router. If the ONT is actually a router you want to plug into that or if it is not plug into the eero.

What you now do is run a simple constant ping command to some common ip like 8.8.8.8. You would then compare what that test show when you game has issues. If there is loss in both then you would use tracert and more pings to try to find the node where the loss occurs.

Sep 24, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I had QoS on because i really am a internet idiot haha! I jst assumed i needed it on 😂

An its funny you say that.... my cat8 cable from the ONT to the Router. Is infact...... FLAT 😂 they did cost alot though i think 3meters was about £20

It might not be the cable but it is hard to say when it doesn't actually meet specs. The flat cables "mostly" work or they would not be able to sell them. They tend to work when they are short.

Hard to say exactly how to test. Depends on if you can ping the ONT. If there are issues inside your house you should see loss on the ping commands.

I thought pingplotter was free. This is where you have to be careful about using a magic tool you do not understand. People see red on the graph and think that has to be their problem when all it means is some router in the path is configure to protect itself from attacks with ping so it limits response.

You are better off doing this with normal tracert and ping commands. You will understand much better what is going on.